How can I help?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Concerned, Apr 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Concerned

Concerned New Member

I am dating a girl that i knew when i met her had issues with suicide, but last night i got to see it first hand for the first time. i cant connect wanting to hurt yourself with solving problems, i want deperatly for her to get better. I know any one else in her life would call the cops or take her to new horizons but with all she has on her plate right now i no that would only make it worse. Is there anything i can do to better understand where she's coming from? I've felt like it would be easier to end it before but ive never had the courage. What can i do? last night i just told her that i loved her and tried my damndest to calm her down. Eventually i had to lift her out of the bathroom and put her to bed. I am in this completely, any suggestions would be greatly apreciated.

2. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. It is hard to understand what it's like to feel the way your g/f does without having been there yourself. All you can do is try your best and don't feel bad if there are are times when you cannot fully understand. Main thing is just to be there for her. Let her know how much you care for her and don't ever be judgemental. Look out for patterns in her behaviour and be aware if she seems to be going into a dark space. Best help I have ever had has come from people here on the forum so maybe you should tell her about the site if she doesn't already know. The fact that you know about her feelings in regard to this and yet you are still standing by her is great and I wish you both all the best. It may be a hard journey but it is one that you can both get through. PM me if ever you feel you need to chat about anything. Simon.
  3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I agree with Simon,all you can do is reassure her that you care and love her.. Watch for signs like lack of motivation..If she attempts then you will have no choice but to call an ambulance and have her admitted to the hospital..I also agree you should get her to join the forum because there are alot of members here who are suicidal and the forum helps them to maintain.. Everyone here rallies together when they know someone is serious about commiting..Take Care!!
  4. middleofnowhere

middleofnowhere Well-Known Member

Your girlfriend is at a critical time. She needs the support you're giving her. Stay close and let her know you're with her and that you care about what happens to her. I would say, don't over-analyze her or her situation. Just keep it simple and be a good listener.

There well may come a time when you have to call EMS for help. Don't be afraid to do that if it will save her life. There are a lot of others like you who will care about what happens to her, and she needs as much support as she can find.

5. until you have been there you cant comprehend just how grateful she might be thta you didnt run.

Ultimately if she hurts herself when your not around you cant hold your self responsible though. just offer her advice, pick your words carefully - i can get bloody paranoid sometimes.

the best help i have recieved is from advice on this site.

im not saying my advice is good though...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.