How can I put on a happy face for Christmas?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Andrew452, Dec 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andrew452

Andrew452 Guest

I don't know if I can do it this year. Other years I have been able to but things right now are much worse for me then they ever have been. I know some people don't like Christmas because they are alone but I hate Christmas because I want to be left alone. Everyone will be talking about their lives and it will be impossible for me not to notice how bad my life is in comparison. When they ask me how things are going how am I going to be able to look them straight in the eye and say "good." My brother and sister who generally help me get through Christmas are both on holidays overseas. I still live at home and Christmas is at our house this year so I can't just not go. Does anyone have so Christmas survival tips for the suicidal and depressed?

2. Jimmy_Boeboe!

Jimmy_Boeboe! Well-Known Member

I can feel what you feel. I do it every year, just telling how fine I am. I have some good things in my life though. I only talk about those things. I talk about how my school is, I'm in an acting school and my family finds it great. I act like they know me or think they know me: the funny and happy one. Also this year I want to act like that even less, but I just think I am gonna have to, it's only one day right?
    I hope you can concentrate on the good things and keep the smile on your face, even if it's fake. Good luck.

3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Not sure how I''m gonna do it either, but if I don't everyone will be miserable.
    So gritting teeth, plastering on smile and drinking meself silly. Maybe if you concentrate on keeping everyone happy you'll be able to get thru it.

Probably see you on here after its all over for a moan, cry and commiserations. Then we can do it all again when the New Year smacks us in the face :sad:

4. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

Putting on a mask all the time can be exhausting, especially around the holidays when extra stressors are present. I am sorry to hear you will be uncomfortable with being at your house with so many people. I have no soutions to your wanting to be alone. Try not to compare who's life is better or worse. There is no one that has the life they want. Even those that seem to live a dream world have problems. The severity of the problem does not necessarily mean the extent that the problem affects the person is to the same degree. It is how we choose to deal with it that makes a difference. Don't pretend to be happy for the sake of everyone else. Be yourself. :hug:

5. blackfire

blackfire Well-Known Member

Put on a fake smile and grit your teeth. It is a sucky situation,but make the most of it.

6. lymeinside

lymeinside Well-Known Member

Heh... I'm in a pretty similar situation. It's hard to pretend to be happy, especially when Christmas is such a depressing time for some people (like me).

I don't really know... just do it, I guess. :eek:

7. Jimmy_Boeboe!

Jimmy_Boeboe! Well-Known Member

My Christmas turned out fine. I like my cousins and most aunts and love my grandmother. I had fun, I have to admit. I acted as planned, just the way they know me: happy, fun, laughing and telling a lot.
    It brought me to my cousin's boyfriend who has a lot in common with me and my other cousin who was so much fun and normally I don't like her.

I hope for you everything went fine. I hope you made it through like me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.