How can I resist the urge to cut myself?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Blackness, Jun 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackness

Blackness Guest

So recently I've been getting more and more confident in cutting my wrist as a coping strategy, if im freaking out or thinking really badly then I do it and it makes me feel so much better...

But i know its wrong and i need a new coping mechanism

So what do you do or does anyone have any tips, because right now I cant even walk in the kitchen:unsure:
  2. meagainstme

meagainstme Well-Known Member

i know exactly how you feel
    its a hard road to stop, and definitely isnt easy, but you can do it :)
    i havent cut for around 3 weeks, and even then it was just a little lapse.

have you tried using an elastic band wen u feel the urge to cut? theres some other methods like rubbin an ice cube on you...stuff like that..

none worked for me, but that doesnt mean they wont for you

i just have distracted myself and waited for the urge to cut to pass. it works alot. the feeling is always there, but saying to myself ''ill cut at 9pm'' or something, usually the urge has gone by then...

deciding you want to stop is a great step :)
    and ill be here for you if you ever need to chat and i hope your cutting stops :)

you into sports or anything? or maybe you could play a game/read/ etc. anything to keep your mind off gettin at a stressful time.

and stayin away from blades is always a good idea
    i just dont let myself near them if it can be helped.
    even lookin at them triggers me. so you just have to help yourself and get through it :)

3. rd9671

rd9671 Guest

Finding a distraction was a good way for me, it also helps to find out what emotion is triggering the urge. Whether it is anger, fear, or lack of feeling. It helps to figure out the cause of the behavior in order to change it.
  4. p3cky

p3cky Account Closed

cutting up a book or somethings like that helps me sometimes
  5. Snugglepuss

Snugglepuss Member

To try & stop myself, I fill my sink with cold water, and put my head in there, holding my breath for about 30-45 seconds, I dunno why but after doing this, it feels like all the bad thoughts have gone to the back of my head, this works for me around 70% of the time :)

Hope this helps :) Please stay safe, we all get moments where we just flip out and end up doing something bad, your not alone, we're here for you :)
  6. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

I deal with the real issue that is causeing me to want to cut. First I calm myself down a bit by focusing on my breathing then when I can think clearly I look at the problem and take it in one step at a time.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.