How can I sleep soundly again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
Something really startled me the other night, and now I am afraid to turn the lights off at night. So I sleep with them on, and even then, I have trouble sleeping until it's light outside. There's not much chance of it happening during the daytime. I had trouble sleeping before this, now it's really hard. This only happened once but I'm worried it will happen again. How can I just relax and forget about what scares me?

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hi hun, our business (which I lived over head) was broken into in 2014 and I can still see the images of the man in the balaclava in my head(from the camera, i didn't even know we were broken into until the next day), I see a balaclava when I close my eyes at night not to mention the crowbar. I have had nightmares for months about this and still do, even last nights nightmare was related. The only thing that helps me is falling asleep with the light on watching a drama on netflix, i don't ''go'' to sleep, i ''fall'' asleep, it's much more comforting that way. May I ask what exactly it was that startled you? Maybe night time medication might help too.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I am really sorry to hear you have nightmares and trouble sleeping. I am glad though that you found something that helps you to fall asleep :)

Lol it will sound stupid, but I had a bat randomly fall on me the other night. So now I am afraid it will happen again. I read that there are about 1 million bats in the bat cave near my apartment, so I am scared of a lot more getting in. I have lived here about 4 years and they didn't start coming in until a month ago. I am scared one will land on me when I am sleeping and maybe scratch or bite me. They aren't as active during the day, so I feel more safe to sleep then.

Petal

~*Mod Extraordinaire*~
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Thank you hun :)

That doesn't sound stupid at all that sounds terrifying, i'd be freaking out bigtime it's no wonder you can't sleep. How did it get in? i'm assuming the window? Your fears are totally justified hun. I wish this wasn't happening to you ((hugs))

ThePhantomLady

Safety and Support
SF Supporter
Ugh, I hate when that happens. I have a lot of anxiety at night too, and I'm scared of the dark... I sleep with my TV on, that way there's light in my bedroom and I can blame any sound on the TV.
I also have 'safety tokens' I don't know if that's the right way to handle it... but it it helps you right now until you 'forget' about what happened again then it helps...

I have a baseball bat and an iron rod under my bed, I have a Doctor Who 'Sonic Screwdriver' flashlight... those things help me feel better at night.

Maybe you could do something similar? Just so you can get some sleep again... not sleeping only worsens the anxiety and makes you more vulnerable

Maybe try calling an exterminator, if theres a cave near you then im sure many people have had the same issue. They could probably find where theyre getting in and make sure no more can. That may give you peace of mind

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
Thank you hun :)

That doesn't sound stupid at all that sounds terrifying, i'd be freaking out bigtime it's no wonder you can't sleep. How did it get in? i'm assuming the window? Your fears are totally justified hun. I wish this wasn't happening to you ((hugs))
I think so, but don't know for sure. I didn't even see or hear it, but I sure felt it. I need to find all entry points and seal them off. Maybe I would sleep securely then.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
Ugh, I hate when that happens. I have a lot of anxiety at night too, and I'm scared of the dark... I sleep with my TV on, that way there's light in my bedroom and I can blame any sound on the TV.
I also have 'safety tokens' I don't know if that's the right way to handle it... but it it helps you right now until you 'forget' about what happened again then it helps...

I have a baseball bat and an iron rod under my bed, I have a Doctor Who 'Sonic Screwdriver' flashlight... those things help me feel better at night.

Maybe you could do something similar? Just so you can get some sleep again... not sleeping only worsens the anxiety and makes you more vulnerable

Yeah, it would be a good idea to have some things to keep me safe. But I wouldn't want to hurt the bat, or any animal that I encounter. But it shouldn't be inside, either. I think when I know the problem is fixed, I might be able to sleep again.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
Maybe try calling an exterminator, if theres a cave near you then im sure many people have had the same issue. They could probably find where theyre getting in and make sure no more can. That may give you peace of mind
I live in a four-apartment place, sort of like a big house. The neighbors haven't had issues with bats, but their places have been repaired more recently. The apartment I live in still needs to be fixed up. Either that needs to happen, or I'll call someone here to ensure no more animals can get in.

Brian777

Safety and Support
SF Artist
SF Supporter
Hey Witty_sarcasm, usually they get in through the chimney or exhaust outlets, I would think it would be pretty easy to find their entry Point(which the landlord should be doing) It's no wonder you can't sleep, I wouldn't hurt them either, but they weird me out. My last house had a fireplace in the living room and woodburning stove in another, they used to get in(Bats and Birds) through the chimney, I put some steel mesh on the chimney and that stopped them. Hope you get it fixed up soon.
Brian

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
Hey Witty_sarcasm, usually they get in through the chimney or exhaust outlets, I would think it would be pretty easy to find their entry Point(which the landlord should be doing) It's no wonder you can't sleep, I wouldn't hurt them either, but they weird me out. My last house had a fireplace in the living room and woodburning stove in another, they used to get in(Bats and Birds) through the chimney, I put some steel mesh on the chimney and that stopped them. Hope you get it fixed up soon.
Brian
He really should fix it, but he never does what he is supposed to do. I'm not terrified of them, I just don't like the idea of one being on me when I am sleeping. But I will try to find ways to keep them out.

shania

I just don't like the idea of one being on me when I am sleeping. But I will try to find ways to keep them out.
Maybe you could try putting something around your bed to block them, such as mosquito netting? I would think that would make it near impossible for them to get to you and might give you better peace of mind to be able to sleep :)

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
Maybe you could try putting something around your bed to block them, such as mosquito netting? I would think that would make it near impossible for them to get to you and might give you better peace of mind to be able to sleep :)
Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. I'm still afraid to sleep at night so I need to find a way to make sure they aren't lurking around.

Flying Fox

Upside-down Hugger
SF Supporter
Aw, hopefully it works for you! I am sorry you are still having trouble with them. Bats as adorable and fuzzy as they can be need be out side where they belong and not in people's houses. Perhaps its food they're after or another temporary adobe for the night that it leading them inside. Sleep is the keystone to our day, and a lack of sleep is not good. Once when we were camping bats kept flying in and out of the bathrooms - and the door was propped open for the night as it was hot then. They loved hanging from the rafters and would make these tiny little squeaks.
Do blinds or curtains do any good? Even having one of those fake owls or birds of prey placed nearby or at the window might help if there was anywhere that sold them.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
Well I thought it was cute when it was just sitting there. Like a little baby looking up at me curiously :P It startled me but I made sure I didn't scare it too much or hurt it in any way. It was probably inside because it was still snowing, even up until last week. I don't think they can handle the cold weather very well.

I have blinds on most windows and curtains on a few. I think they are getting in through small cracks, and I need to make sure those are closed up. The fake animal would be a good idea--the landlord but a stuffed bird in the hallway to scare away pigeons, haha. So maybe that would work for bats too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00