How can someone possibly get past the fear of dying?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ryanglander, Jun 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

I've thought about suicide a lot, and the more I think the harder it is to commit suicide. I mean how could anything be greater then the fear of the unknown. I want to die, ande I don't fear the pain of dying, but what comes after death. When I seriously think about I get terrified and I no longer get solace when I think about suicide because my fear of death anxiety takes over.

For those of you who are suicidal here is anyone else extremly afraid of what will come after death, or have you not thought about it seriously?
  2. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I am suicidal also and haven't or don't think about what comes next..When I made my attempts I was calm and not afraid..I have been in therapy for four years and my shrink seems to have found the right combination of meds that keep me from having to fight so hard to stay alive..I still think about it daily but the depression that drags you down isn't as bad.. So I put those thoughts to the side everyday..Hopefully you will find the right meds that work for you.. I am on five different meds and it seems that him putting me on a skyzophrenia med has helped along with the other meds I take..
  3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

There isn't much that scares me, but death and what happens after is one of the few things that does.
  4. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

My belief is that is what stops us.
    The fear.

and I - for one - I'm glad I still have the fear because I'd be dead already if I didn't.
    Sadly for many the overwhelming desire to die took over, and the fear was not great enough, so they took their lives.

I suppose I can't compare it to anything here on earth because there is nothing as scary as NOBODY having the answer. Even things like the scary pain of getting a piercing or a tattoo, or having a baby or losing your virginity etc. there is always somebody to ask, "what did it feel like? How did you deal with it?" What happened afterwards?". If I could honestly ask someone about this in relation to death, then I wouldn't be so scared.

Never gonna happen sadly.
  5. Necromanti

Necromanti Well-Known Member

I wish that I had the fear of death and that which follows, too.

I am an atheist, so I don't have to worry about facing the judgment of any god or goddess, nor do I personally believe in the associated concepts of an afterlife.

The unknown can be interpreted as simplistically or complexly as I see fit, and while I cannot claim to know any absolute truths, I can deduce logical possibilities. I view the "afterlife" as being a man-made idea which promises everlasting life and prosperity to instill hope in a hopeless world, and threatens to eternally condemn those who refuse to submit to that religion. Religion tries to over-complicate something simple for its own needs.
    Anyways, I don't want to get into any kind of a religious debate.

My point is that I see death as being an uncomplicated process. Somethings can never be given a true answer, but sometimes, the answer that lies before you is a simple one. When one dies, the body merely shuts down, and initiates all the functions necessary for decomposition, etc.
    It is like a complete loss of consciousness as your brain shuts down along with the rest of your body.

I have absolutely no fear for what I can only describe as "eternal" unconsciousness.
  6. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

I'm an atheist and I feel pretty certain about what happens so I'm not scared at all.
    In agreement with Necromanti's eternal unconsciousness. Sleep without dreams.
  7. bright1

bright1 Well-Known Member

I'm an agnostic, and everything I've heard about heaven has convinced me that I don't want to be there. Whether I'm to merely sit and adore God or find an idealized version of the life I have now, no thanks. I was recently told that I would be reunited with my husband, but that we would both be so changed in heaven that we might as well NOT be reunited.

I'm not afraid to die because I don't think there is anything after death. But I'm afraid of dying in agony. Also, it bothers me that after dying I won't be able to see the aftermath and find out who is sad to know that I'm gone. And I would hate to be dead when proof of extra-terrestrial intelligence is finally found.
  8. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

I think the fear of dying is over come by the thought of wanting to die. I guess the only thing I am afraid of is how the people will be when I leave.
  9. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I am at peace with the thought of death. I like Necromanti's description of death and it being eternal unconsciousness. To me that seems peaceful. The only reason I can say I haven't gone through with suicide is because I've feared my attempt not being successful and me waking up still here, only possibly worse off.
  10. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I'm very scared of the process of dying, not so much what comes after.
  11. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I've never really thought about what will happen after death to be honest.
  12. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I've researched dying and methods for years, and of course I won't mention any because I know that isn't allowed, but there are plenty which are so quick that I'd imagine they are practically painless?
    I mean, we've all heard "he/she died on impact" at one point or another.
  13. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

I've been reading stuff on NDE(near death experiences) and Me being an atheist, I find them kinda unreal. When I start thinking of what happens after death I do get scared kinda, but when I'm not putting heavy thoughts into what happens I could care less. It is kinda scary to think that its all over at the end but it is also very comforting. I can't handle this life, so my chances of handling a after life is very slim.
  14. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

I'm afraid of the question 'what if?'
  15. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

Isn't eternal unconsciousness scary? And I mean all religions (this includes everyone) don't no for sur what happens after death. On the one hand religion seems to me pretty phony, changing its theology to match scienfitic discoveries. However there is the question how time began. Which to me implies a creator. I think if there is a God he is only seen to the dead.

I mean being dead for all eternity is very scary to me. That means everything I do here means nothing. Good people are not rewarded and bad people are not punished. Hitler gets away with the holocaust and the millions of Jews that were slaughtered suffered in vain. And this would also mean I would never get to see my dead relatives again.

Beleiving in nothing after death to me paints the scariest picture of all. Well I shall find out very soon.
  16. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Yes, fear keeps me here, but not fear from afterlife, but fear from pain, and mostly the fear of failure in my attempt.
  17. beautifuloblivion

beautifuloblivion Well-Known Member

Same here. I'm much more afraid of failing than anything else. I'm terrified that I'll just end up stuck here with some sort of permanent damage from an attempt that will leave me even worse off than I am now.
  18. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I'm more worried about the pain involved to end life. But death to me is just the end. Anything that might happen after death is illogical.
  19. Necromanti

Necromanti Well-Known Member

That is the great tragedy of life... :sad:
  20. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I think the fear of death is biological. If we didn't have it, we wouldn't, as a species, survive. All species show a fear of death, even ants will avoid poison if they smell it. I think it has little to do with belief.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.