How deep can you safely go?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by river16, Aug 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. river16

river16 Member

Hello all, been cutting for a while now. Mostly on my left bicep, the problem is; it is actually quite a visible area on me since I don't have any long sleeves, and I actually go swimming a lot.

So anyway, I was planning on just cutting on my wrist, and hiding it with a watch. But I don't want to bleed to death. How deep can you go without popping open a vein?
  2. Twitch-J

Twitch-J Guest

depends on the thickness of your skin and so on..

anyway if you don't want it visible i say stay clear of your arms and such...

or stop... yes, no, eh.... thought i'd throw that in
  3. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Well the skin on our wrists is quite thin compared to other parts of our body.

I find that I bleed really easily (if I use a blade thing, rather than a knife). The sharper the thing is the less it hurts and more it bleeds. If I use a knife it hurts doing it and after it, but a blade hurts less on both accounts but bleeds more.

If you plan to wear a watch, it might be a bit painful! Like you might have to cover up the cut/s first. And the rubbing could be painful!

I personally dont believe in putting band aids on my cuts or any type of creme! I dont think they deserve to be looked after...I just wipe away the blood and leave them.:wink:

I don't go very deep, and you're only going to risk popping a vein/artery if you cut over them, if you cut more to the side of your wrist, you're less likely to cut anything important :) Obviously if you can see a vein there's a greater risk..but still we cant see everything so you have to be careful!

I'd say dont go deeper than like a centremetre? or less perhaps. It varies.

Good luck, and please try not to cut! :hug:
  4. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

It depends on a lot of things, how wide the cut is, what you used, where you cut and so on. The best answer? stop cutting. I know it isnt as easy as just saying it... but really.... its so much better to not cut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.