how deep is too deep?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Xistence, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xistence

Xistence Well-Known Member

I'm scared to cut too deep, but I want to see blood.. :sad: how deep is it until you have to get stitches? I can't go to the hospital or anything, so I need to know.. unless I can get some kind of product to seal it and let it close.. :unsure:
  2. Lost Forever

Lost Forever Well-Known Member

it depends of what kind of scars you want to have after... if the aim is only to see blood, than very undeep cut is enough
  3. aki

aki Well-Known Member

:hug: please don't cut - it doesn't solve anything believe me, i know.
    i know you feel bad about yourself, but you don't deserve that, no one does.
  4. Xistence

idk.. I kinda want more blood.. I want it to flow.. :unsure:
  5. aki

aki Well-Known Member

I know that well. But you still feel terrible afterwards. It's a temporary release. Very temporary. Then you just feel as bad as you did before, but also with some added guilt, your arm is sore and painful, you have to hide your scars from your family, you feel ashamed, strange and even more miserable than when you started.
    It just....doesn't work.
  6. Xistence

I know.. but it is so tempting.. :sad: I wish I could cut my arm, but I don't want anyone to see..
  7. aki

aki Well-Known Member

why do you want to cut, if you don't mind me asking?
  8. Xistence

I hate myself. I feel like worthless trash that deserves the pain. :unsure:

I just enjoy hurting myself..
  9. aki

aki Well-Known Member

you're not worthless trash :hug:
    i've spoken to you a few times now and you've mentioned that you have a really good friend who hates for you to hurt yourself and your parents have tried really hard for you to get better.
    you've got people in your life who really care for you. please don't hurt yourself, you're not a bad person. i know this is hard for you to believe, i mean, i've felt how you're feeling now. but no one is worthless. and i'm sure you're family don't think you're worthless.
  10. Xistence

I'm a bit better now. I have been talking to my friend on MSN. thank you for your help :hug:

but.. how deep does it have to be for the blood to flow..? Just for future reference.. :unsure: and would it require stitches?

I didn't cut too bad a while ago.. but still the worst I ever have..
  11. aki

aki Well-Known Member

i mean....:unsure: i really don't think you should cut. just take it from me. but you asked a question see blood you dont have to cut that deep. you'd only need stitches if you cut deep, i've never done that so i don't know how deep exactly. if you're going to cut, if you have to, use first aid so it doesn't get infected.:hug:

i'm so happy that you're feeling better though. you can pm me anytime you need to talk.:hug:

please don't feel so bad about yourself:sad:
  12. Xistence

ok :hug: thank you :smile:

I will try not to.. but the depression is so hard to fight sometimes.
  13. Broken Wings

Broken Wings Well-Known Member

For blood to flow, you really don't need to go that deep. If the knife is sharp you barely need any pressure at all, I've never needed any stitches, and I've seen a lot of blood in my times... /._.\

(Even though I recomend against cutting, I know what it feels like to 'need' to do it, so I'll recomend STRONGLY that a sharp knife is used, because blunt knives can cause more damage in the end, because you need more pressure, meaning you can cut too deep by accident)

Anyways, I hope you get through without cutting, it sounds like you're a very good person, and I hate it when good people get hurt, it's sad. /,_,\
  14. thedeafmusician

thedeafmusician Staff Alumni

broken wings effectively answered it. A blunt knife will cause more tissue damage. They scar more too generally. As a rule of thumb, a cut will need stitches if it is more than about a cm long, and it is a gaping cut. In other words, you can actually pull the skin back over it. If you REALLY cannot get stitches, then at least get steri strips to hold the cut closed. Or at the very least, you can make steri strips from bandaids.

Even better? don't cut at all. But yeah... I know its way easier said than done.

15. Broken Wings

Broken Wings Well-Known Member

By your definition, I should have had stitches on a fair chunk of my cuts...
    They vary 2cm to 1 1/2inch, and I tend to be able to push the skin back over it. But I might have been reading your sentence wrong, because I've had doctors look at them and say they don't need stitches?

Xistence, another thing that should be mentioned is keeping any and all cut/burns/abrasions, that occured for any reason, clean. Regardless of how deep you cut, and infection can screw you up worse. Thankfully I've never had one of those, but I know someone who has, and its hell.

Good luck.
  16. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I think that if you have to ask how deep is too deep, you're cutting too deep.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.