how deep is too deep?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by grinded serenity, Aug 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grinded serenity

grinded serenity Well-Known Member

well, the title says it all i guess. how deep is too deep for you? or more so, how deep do you have to go before you actually start a new cut.

for myself, i just keep going until i dont feel it anymore, then i start a new cut.

2. rosky71

rosky71 Well-Known Member

when i first started cutting i didint go too deep because i didint really know what i was doing and it was new to me, but now each time i cut now i make sure i go deeper and longer. and i mean it dosent hurt, the cut i just recently did is my worst and its still no closed up. but nothing can hurt me like the way it feels to have your heart ripped out by someone you truley loved

3. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

Mine have gotten deeper over time too. I’m surprisingly careful about where I cut when I know it’s going to be deep so that I don’t slice anything open by accident.

4. ItsNotTrue

ItsNotTrue Member

Why do people cut? How does it help you?

5. rosky71

rosky71 Well-Known Member

the technical reason it makes us feel better is because when you cut your body relases endorphines which is the thing that makes us feel good.

6. iKarma

iKarma Well-Known Member

I cut because I hate myself or because I want to feel something, in the end it doesn't help me. It makes things worse. I have tried stopping. Haven't found a good way yet, but working on it.

7. __Rawr.Tigga

__Rawr.Tigga Well-Known Member

I cut because it relieves pressure. It relaxes me. I find something calming in seeing my blood flowing. Also, it makes me feel something, most of the time anyway. Let's me know I am alive. I need it.

8. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

When the skin tears and you have cut off muscles, then it's too deep to my thoughts.
    But I know somewhere inside that anything is too deep...

9. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

Don't start cutting!! You will look at yourself after some time, regret and ask "why the hell did I do this?!" it will permanently damage you (you can get nerve damage for example) and it looks truly awful.
    I know how it feels, that druggy feeling you get when you cut. I've been there myself but believe me, it's not worth it. Today sometimes the scars make me even more suicidal...

10. ItsNotTrue

ItsNotTrue Member

I would never start cutting. I honestly don't see a point to it. If you're not doing it to end your life, then I don't know why do it at all...Making yourself feel more pain than you're already in just doesn't make sense to me. Why ruin the way you look when you feel shitty enough as it is? At least the outside of your body is a way to pretend like nothing is wrong for a while. Having scars all over yourself is pointless.

11. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

For some people they feel like they deserve and want the extra pain. It's a way of relaxing yourself (due to endorphines like rosky71 said) and that release turns into an addiction. I don't think it makes sense to some people, but it does help in some ways which you might not be able to understand.
    I like the scars because it reminds me how good it feels and will drive me to do it again, but I know deep down it's not good. But somehow I can't stop..no matter what I do. It's a dark road and if you want to start, don't.

12. elvinchild

elvinchild Well-Known Member

Going back to the original question...

When I was at my worst with cutting, I would cut until it was deep enough that I became horrified at what I was doing. I tried to traumatize myself, so that all the other upsetting things in my life paled in comparison. Nowadays I've been better, and I cut until its deep enough that I'm gasping from the pain. That's where I get a physical relief and the endorphins are enough, I don't need to frighten myself.

13. I got this one from a friend:
    Draw a butterfly on the area(s) you cut most often.
    -Name it after someone you love dearly
    --If you cut, you kill the butterfly, insinuating that by cutting you are killing that person

OR
    Every time you wanna cut, snap a rubber band on your wrist, it hurts and beta-endorphines will be released. It helps

It stops my pain and reminds me that life in my body, well it still lingers, proof
    - I am pregnant
    - I bleed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.