How depressed does loneliness make you?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by InnerStrength, Aug 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. InnerStrength

InnerStrength Well-Known Member

Loneliness makes me extremely depressed sometimes. Sometimes I manage to fight it, but it can be horrible a lot.

My main thing for me, is...I just want a girlfriend. I've had random offers in the past but it never felt right. And the ones I'm actually interested make me too nervous to act approachable.

How do you handle this?
  2. odnox

odnox Well-Known Member

What do you do with your time when you're alone? In those times that you "manage to fight it" what are you doing? Do you have friends or family to talk to, even about nothing, just chatting? How about hobbies? What are the things you do that make you happy?
  3. innocencexisxlove

innocencexisxlove Well-Known Member

I Know what you mean.. I'm lonely quite often.. And it does make me sad, and depressed.. I Don't really have any advice, for I'm still struggling with it too

Best o' Luck
  4. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

very. But the efforts made have not met expected goals so I've had to cut things down to the bone. Which isn't always a bad thing as it helps one make decisions like "Does this Really matter?" & other issues. Bottom line-what's the return on the rate/amount/time of investment? wrong forum again. sorry
  5. Obsessive

Obsessive Well-Known Member

I'm depressed not just because I'm lonely, but because there is nothing that can be done about the loneliness. I'm missing something that makes humans human, and I'm not sure what it is.
  6. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

Likewise, but what I do is go out and try to b among humans for as long as I can tolerate, then return to the ship & collate the data. many in the same boat and u can tell from the faces alone. we each go on somehow:mellow:
  7. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

It's the #1 reason for my depression. I will never be able to talk to anybody unless they talk to me first. I'll never be able to ask a girl out, make a friend, or rarely go out in public. Loneliness is the reason I probably won't be able to live until I'm 21.
  8. saint6

saint6 Well-Known Member

it used to eat me alive. i hated so much being lonely. but now it doesnt... i learned to deal with it, i convinced myself that i would rather be alone....
  9. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

loneliness is my biggest challenge. even when i am surrounded by friends i feel alone. it is a terrible feeling. i wish i could help you overcome this feeling, but i struggle so much with it myself...
  10. InnerStrength

My alone time consists of reading, net surfing, driving randomly, etc

I don't have things that make me happy atm, just content. On the few times I manage to fight it, I'm just out browsing in stores, walking, I gues I still am not socializing much when I do those things.
  11. Shi

Shi Active Member

I know that problem. I am a loner too. Cannot really change anything about it. Its a loneliness no one will ever be able to break through or will I ever be able to share. The only moments when I feel something similar to happyiness is while my animals are arround, doing my Material Arts or playing video games.
  12. odnox

odnox Well-Known Member

Just too much blathering on...
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2008
  13. EmptyLife

EmptyLife Well-Known Member

I feel the exact same way.
  14. yanke

yanke Active Member

you should probably see a therapist. I went thru the same thing but with guys. No guys ever liked me or they did and didnt tell me till this year. Im not gonna tell you things will get better becuz i dont know if they will .

(P.S.)If you start to feel like suicidal talk to parent(s) or guardian about seeing a therpist . It may sound like totally cliche but having someone to talk to can totally help.
  15. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I feel the same way. I always feel like I need a girlfriend to be happy.
    I don't fight it very well. I talk to my teddy bear, talk to God, or come on here to fight the lonliness.
  16. InnerStrength

I don't know if that is referring to me, but...I don't think I have problems with them liking me, I just have a problem reciprocating and forming a relationship w/them cause I'm really nervous etc.
  17. Atheist Demon

Atheist Demon Account Closed

I spend most of my time alone (lonely) and I just have a few friends. Most of the time I am at work or at my friend's house or in front of the boobuter (computer version of boobtube :biggrin: ). And it sometimes bother me.
  18. morbid4ever

morbid4ever Member

I used to hate being lonely and I used to fantasize about having a girlfriend all the time, but now I don't care that much anymore. I learnt to accept that I'm going to be lonely forever and not dwell on it too much. I've found that there are quite a few interesting things that you can do by yourself - just gotta keep ya mind busy.
  19. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I spend most of each day alone. I like it that way, i wouldnt be happy any other way so I cant really relate to people that feel lonely. I agree with morbid4ever, keeping your mind busy is the trick to avoid feeling depressed because of being alone.
  20. Colourful

Colourful Well-Known Member

Loneliness is kinda the main reason why i'm so depressed, although i love spending time on my own - i enjoy my own company, but it's like there's different types of loneliness for me..i won't go into it right now coz im tired but yh..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.