How did you accept your life?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by nicesinging1, Feb 4, 2008.

1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

I have been dealing with my severe depression and trauma for 10 years. Regrettably, I am still struggling. I have used variety of tactics and strategies to counter the demons of depression but I failed countless times.
    Recently, I realized I have always felt void in my mind because I never accepted my life of severe depression and trauma for the last 10 years. For some reason, I vehemently denied that is my life and always envisioned my life of success, happiness and enjoyment. However, that thinking process generated lots of disappointments and frustrations because it never came to fruition.
    My Qs for you guys are this.
    1. How did you accept your life no matter how terrible, painful it may be?
    2. Did it help you in improving your life, achieving realistic goals and ultimately making your life more satisfied?

Thanks for insights

-Hank-

2. gag

gag Well-Known Member

1. I used to get stressed out about the stuff I can't changed inmy life, but I just came to the conclusion there's nothing I can do about it so there's no point in worrying about it.

and

2. I think it makes life easier. The sooner you accept who you are the sooner you gain confidence, and confidence feels good.

3. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi Hank. I've accepted my life for what it is. I know that there will be good times and that there will be difficult times. But I've never allowed myself to fall into a depressed state, and believe me, I've had plenty of opportunities to become depressed. Achieving realistic goals is a very good way to improve your life and make you feel good about your life. I used to dream about becoming a doctor, but due to my low GPA, this became an unrealistic goal. So I changed my goal to becoming a teacher and I've achieved this new goal, and feel very good for accomplishing that. :biggrin:

4. Kinetic

Kinetic Well-Known Member

I accepted that in life there will be sorrows and pain eventually, and that I can't change that, but I can change how to deal with them.
    What I'm trying to say is that instead of perceveing another disappointment/rejection/humilitaion like a downfall in my life, I rather see it now as a period of my time from wich I will learn from and gain experience, cause for me thats the whole point in life, experience things, all kinds of feelings good or bad, it's part of life and I shouldn't be chasing imaginary dreams of a life without pain or sorrow, it's part of life we can't change it but we can change how long we will be affected by them.

5. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I yelled a 'fuck you' to lots of things. I shouted and yelled a lot. My voice got stronger. I had just come out of hospital.

Yes.