How did you know when you were bipolar?

Hi...this may sound like a silly question but for anyone here who is bipolar, how did your diagnosis come to be? I am currently being treated for anxiety, depression and ocd. The medicine I was given is mostly used for ocd...Luvox. However, I am finding that I am having some really good days where I get lots done and my thoughts are stable, followed by horrible thoughts like today where I do not want to be here.
All of this stemmed from trauma a few years ago after which I exhibited some very out of characteristic behavior...which then led to the rest of my diagnoses.
Thanks for any info...

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
I was diagnosed in 2014 after swinging from hypomania and depression. My bipolar has now been rediagnosed to Schizoaffective disorder.

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
Hi...this may sound like a silly question but for anyone here who is bipolar, how did your diagnosis come to be? I am currently being treated for anxiety, depression and ocd. The medicine I was given is mostly used for ocd...Luvox. However, I am finding that I am having some really good days where I get lots done and my thoughts are stable, followed by horrible thoughts like today where I do not want to be here.
All of this stemmed from trauma a few years ago after which I exhibited some very out of characteristic behavior...which then led to the rest of my diagnoses.
Thanks for any info...
I think that the best and proper thing for you to do, would be to go see a psychiatrist, and ask them specifically to evaluate you for that particular diagnosis. :)
As to the answer to your initial question—years ago - maybe ten or more? I had a lot of close friend & family members who all wanted to hop on webmd (or whatever it was at the time) & see if they could come up with a diagnosis for me... That was the most common / or / popular response (answer).
Just could never get my p-doc, to go along with it though— believe me! I tried. . ;)

I think that the best and proper thing for you to do, would be to go see a psychiatrist, and ask them specifically to evaluate you for that particular diagnosis. :)
As to the answer to your initial question—years ago - maybe ten or more? I had a lot of close friend & family members who all wanted to hop on webmd (or whatever it was at the time) & see if they could come up with a diagnosis for me... That was the most common / or / popular response (answer).
Just could never get my p-doc, to go along with it though— believe me! I tried. . ;)
Thank you, I do see a psychiatrist. I was quite ‘normal’ u til about 3 years ago. I won awards at my job more than once, etc. raised a great family, have a great family. Trauma destroyed me. Led me to do uncharacteristic things. Cant quite forgive myself. One day I am okay with everything and next day I can barely get out of bed....

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
Thank you, I do see a psychiatrist. I was quite ‘normal’ u til about 3 years ago. I won awards at my job more than once, etc. raised a great family, have a great family. Trauma destroyed me. Led me to do uncharacteristic things. Cant quite forgive myself. One day I am okay with everything and next day I can barely get out of bed....
Yes, that okay 👌 & perfectly fine! You’ll be alright... : ) I think that - believe it or not - your story is not such an uncommon one. We tend to think of mental illness afflicting us or settling in at certain ages & stages in our lives. But in reality, whether genetics have kept it repressed, and it has just been waiting for the right opportunity environment-wise, or what ever the reason, really (because it does not matter!). You’re here, we’re here. So, who cares for “the why?” ; )
What I’d suggest you do, is to tell your psychiatrist exactly what you just told me, in addition to perhaps, just maybe requesting for the bipolar assessment (so sorts!). . :^)
Good 😉 luck 🤞, You can get through this—

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
. . . If it’s been brought about by a trauma event, as you say, then I’m going to lean a little less in the genetic component direction, my-self! ;) no worries ☺️ either way. . .

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
What signs of hypomania do you have?
Maybe you could help her to distinguish, or differentiate, what is meant by that (or this) butterfly?
I know a lot of people have a hard time telling what it is, or when they are actually in it, so to speak...
Whereas the others are a bit easier to 'detect!' (sorry if you don't need this help @Hopeiseverything :))

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Maybe you could help her to distinguish, or differentiate, what is meant by that (or this) butterfly?
I know a lot of people have a hard time telling what it is, or when they are actually in it, so to speak...
Whereas the others are a bit easier to 'detect!' (sorry if you don't need this help @Hopeiseverything :))

So hypomania is an elevated mood state that lasts for a week or more. During this period you may find that you want to take on more at work/activities, thoughts racing at a million miles an hour, may want to spend lots of money, may want lots of sex, may drink or take drugs, speech is disorganised or quick etc, dress inappropriately etc. For full blown mania you'd have a delusional element there like believing you're on a mission from God, can fly etc. I believe you need 4 or 5 of these traits in an episode lasting for more than a week.

MisterBGone

ReaLemon
SF Supporter
Well, then . . . :^) I guess I've been "hypo!" since birth -(minus some massive periods) ~*> of Soul Crushing / Death-Inviting; or defying, depression. : ) :D ;)

What signs of hypomania do you have?
Well, my hypomania does not really fit what you described but let’s just say I did some real weird, uncharacteristic stuff. The other thing is one day I feel pretty good...next not so much. Like today if I had a weapon I would be tempted....yesterday I kind of enjoyed the day....

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I've never truly experienced hypomania, which is why after being diagnosed with bipolar they ended up removing the diagnosis. I've experienced all of those things @Butterfly mentioned, which is why they first went with it I think. I haven't experienced them in conjunction with an elevated mood though or at least not for more than a day or even a few hours. I'm more of a rapid mood cycling guy. I'll be on top of the world one min and crashing into the depths of the ocean the next.

I've never truly experienced hypomania, which is why after being diagnosed with bipolar they ended up removing the diagnosis. I've experienced all of those things @Butterfly mentioned, which is why they first went with it I think. I haven't experienced them in conjunction with an elevated mood though or at least not for more than a day or even a few hours. I'm more of a rapid mood cycling guy. I'll be on top of the world one min and crashing into the depths of the ocean the next.
Yes...I am kind of ok one day then ready to end it the next day. Do you take a mood stabilizer....

Butterfly

Sim Addict
Safety & Support
SF Author
SF Supporter
Bipolar mood swings are longer in nature. It's not just feeling happy one minute then upset the next, that's more indicative of a personality disorder.

Well, something is definitely going on with me as I notice a drastic difference from one day to the next....I mean drastic. Can get stuff done one day and then the next I am useless and have very bad thoughts. Will talk to my dr .... so frustrating to have hope one day then want to end it the next. Thks

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00