How did you open up?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by cloud9, May 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

I'm generally a very private person when it comes to things that bother me/my issues. I've always found it difficult to open up to anyone about these sort of things. For those of you who have seen a therapist, how did you get over that hurdle of opening up. Seeing a therapist terrifies me a little. I'm not sure if I'd be able to talk openly. Since seeing a therapist costs money, I don't want to waste my time seeing one if I can't get to the heart of the matter of what is bothering me.

How did you open up? Did it get easier when you started to? Any advice for me? I feel like I'm getting to a point where I really need to talk to someone.

2. alison

alison Well-Known Member

For me, it definitely got easier with time.

I was at college the first time I went to therapy, and they had free counseling, so I didn't have the money thing to worry about. But I had the number to call for months, before I finally just forced myself to call. They asked me a lot of questions over the phone (they called it a 'triage phone appointment') to help set me up with the right person, and then scheduled me an appointment. The triage phone appointment was probably the scariest thing for me, but I just forced myself to do it.

My first appointment was definitely scary too, but my therapist was very warm, and that helped. One of the first things he told me was that we should talk about things in the way we see most truthful, but nothing that we say is set in stone - if I later realize something new about myself, that was okay. I guess I was so worried I would say the wrong thing, but that helped me just to talk.

Everytime you see a new therapist they'll ask you a lot of questions to establish a history, and its frightening, but at the same time its very structured. In that way, I really like it, because you don't need to decide what you want to talk about, you just answer the questions.

Sorry.. I'm rambling a lot and I'm not sure I'm being helpful. But I would definitely suggest just taking the plunge and scheduling an appointment. Tell them that you've never done therapy before and that you're nervous or not sure how it works, and they'll help you. I know a lot of people speak of therapists they didn't like, but honestly, I've seen a lot (8 now, including psychiatrists/therapists and counselors at the hospital I went to) and I've never had one I didn't ilke. Definitely, some were more helpful than others, but they've all been very warm and easy to talk to.

Good luck! Just try to focus on scheduling an appointment and showing up. For me that was the hardest part, the rest will follow. :)

3. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input alison :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.