1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I commit myself?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by AsbestosMoth, Feb 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AsbestosMoth

    AsbestosMoth Member

    I live in the UK, and I want to know if I can commit myself to a mental hospital. How do I do it? Thanks in advance for any help.
  2. LostLee

    LostLee New Member

    Talk with your Family Doctor or your Therapist. They can suggest an Institution that meet your needs. Or, they may finsd a way to help as an outpatient. You can also do a research in the Insitutions in your area, and find out which one can be more helpful.
  3. Missi

    Missi Member

    You can go to any emergency room at a hospital or look up a mental hospital in your area for a phone number to get through to someone. If you need immediate help go to an emergency room
  4. AsbestosMoth

    AsbestosMoth Member

    Thanks for the reply. I've looked up mental hospitals in my area, but I didn't know if I could just walk in, I thought I'd need to talk to a GP.
  5. Tealc

    Tealc Banned Member

    if you believe your a danger to yourself or to others you can go to A&E but you won't be admitted voluntarily, the community care act is in place to allow you to be treated as an out patient, thru your gp or at home.
    you will be assessed as to your illness and things will go from there.

    i think to be admitted to a psychiatric ward, two doctors, a social worker, an AMHP and the crisis team must all deem you a significant risk to yourself and/or others.

    i could be wrong
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.