How do I "control" my addiction?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by nicesinging1, Feb 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

I have been suffering from weird addiction (Internet) for last 10 yrs or so. I tried variety of strategies and tactics but to no avail, I am still powerless when it comes to my addiction.
    My goal is this. If it is impossible to live a life without feeling triggered, I want at least be able to control it. I want to be able to "control" my addiction, dictating myself when to do it and when to stop. I don't want this stupid addiction running my life. I wanna run my life without this compulsion by being able to put an end no matter how much I wanna continue in the activity that brings temporary joys.
    Can you help me with any advice?

-Hank-

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

The one surefire way is one you were not willing to consider when we discussed it before. If you have no access you have no means. If you are serious about beating this, you may have to do things that make it uncomfortable or make things more difficult for you in other areas of your life. You can make no excuses, you just have to decide it is a necessary step that must be taken. I know you are reluctant, but that is all I can offer you.

3. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I'd just disconnect the internet. I did it in my flat. It's great. I have to walk now, about 20 minutes to get internet access and I don't spend all the time downloading music, spamming internet forums or having this life-sucking machine draining all the energy from my room. Best thing I did!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

weird addiction? im sure its a very common addiction, well im addicted anyway:laugh: i'd say your only option would be to disconnect yourself from the internet,,sorry im not helping am i?

5. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

Hi Hank. I think the best way to control your 'Internet' addiction is to limit the amount that you watch each day. Instead of watching two hours, cut it down to one hour. Eventually you can cut it down to half an hour and so on. I believe in you man and I know that you can overcome this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.