How do I decide what I actually want in life?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by skyisburning, Nov 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyisburning

skyisburning Well-Known Member

I feel like I've been asking so many people for advice and/or listening to people tell me what to do with my life for so long, that I can't even process what I really want. It's like I just float through life, this empty shell of a human, and follow every command.

My biggest issue currently is that I have been wrestling with the idea of taking a semester off. And my reasons for staying in school next semester are ones that, in my opinion, have nothing to do with me! Things like: I'm afraid people will be disappointed in me (both teachers AND peers), I'm afraid I'll regret taking the semester off and now being a semester behind, everyone keeps telling me that it's a mistake and that it isn't worth the risk of not coming back (even though they don't understand how I feel)...

And at this point...I just...don't even see myself in school next semester. I look at my course schedule and it's like, "No, that doesn't look right to doesn't feel right....what is wrong?" :( And I think it's my subconscious screaming in the dark, telling me to please take next semester the universe wants me to... I plan on going back to school, honestly, I do! I have a full-ride at the college I attend, and I looked into the paperwork/process/etc to take a semester off without losing the scholarship, so there is nothing to worry about there.

....but I just don't want everyone to be disappointed in me.......and that's what it feels like...
  2. LogDork

LogDork Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Know how to carve a bear out of a log?
    Easy, just remove all the wood that isnt a bear.
    zat help?
  3. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Most people never really figure out one specific thing they want to do with their lives. You just have to get out there and try everything that you can, then~

...That's the main objective of living, I think.
    That and breeding, I think. So... my advice is- breed. breed alot.
    Then again... I'm a robot, so I wouldn't really know.

For serious though; try not to let it get you down if you have no idea what you're doing because no one else really knows either. You just have to try whatever comes to mind until you find something you think you could do for awhile.
  4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Although it is very difficult, you have to do what you want, and not be influenced by how others will be dissappointed...if you take the semester off, what will you do? that is as important as deciding to take the time...please make sure the time is well spent...all the best, J
  5. doityourself

doityourself Well-Known Member

close your eyes, remove all thoughts from your head, get totally relaxed, then ask yourself what do I want to be when I grow up, POP!!! is it there?

I agree with above, its a super hard thing in life to have to choose a life road, what if its the wrong one, all the what ifs. To me I would say how lucky that you are that you get to choose. Take your time, your still young, maybe dip your toes in anything and then choose if you can.

I would hesitate taking any time off of school, just because its always so hard getting back to it, life seems to take over and the next thing you know your 33, married with kids, lol.

Hope you are having a better day, PM anytime.
  6. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

I know someone who's 67 and still has no idea what they want to do with their life. They've just taken everyday as it's come, and lived the best way they know how. Try and have fun, don't take things too seriously, but know the balance. If you can be happy in a career, whether it's a well paid one or not, then you're set.

Personally, I'm not very career orientated. I could work in Tesco all my life (uhm.. like Walmart?) and be happy as long as I still had time to do things. I'd much rather be working 30 hours in Tesco a week, than 50 in a law firm, for example. So I'm not certain what I want to do myself, but I'm still going to live the best way I can.
  7. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Maybe instead of taking a semester off, take a bunch of low level, completely unrelated courses that strike you as somewhat interesting. It might spark an interest for you.
  8. skyisburning

skyisburning Well-Known Member

That's a really interesting idea, but the problem with that is that our school has already registered for classes next semester (aka choices are now limited because everyone has signed up and many courses are full already). I was considering taking a course or two at the community college, just my remaining two general education courses that I need. They'd be simple, a different environment, and they'd be applicable/transferable to another college for any degree.

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I've just got a lot to think about (feels like I always do, though) now...
  9. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Well, have a look at it if you're interested. People do drop out.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.