How do I form a Suicide-Anonymous Group?

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by Winslow, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

As seen in the many other Suicide-Anonymous groups, the purpose is to prevent suicide by using the same principle of a 12-step program used by Alcoholics-Anon,etc. The problem is that at the local Mental Health Clinic I attend, they won't let me form such a group there because of Liability. Also, to keep the group-meetings SAFE, I would need a PROFESSIONAL to supervise. But I can Not find one so far. I had been told that there used to be a Suicide-Anon group here locally many years ago which included a Professional supervisor, so I hoped to revive such a group. But so far I am Unable to form such a group due to the obstacles I earlier stated. The way I see it, since most of the attendees would be erratic and UNstable, so a Professional doctor or even just an experienced social-worker would be absolutely necessary to be present to keep things under control.

Does anybody at this forum regularly attend any Suicide-Anon group in their town? Or have you formed one yourself? Whatever the case, I certainly need some constructive suggestions.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Winslow,

I do not attend a suicide anon group nor do I have experience with them, actually come to think of it I never knew they existed:unsure:

Have you asked your own doctor if he/she would supervise?
    Maybe contact the samaritans and ask their advice, they will surely know how to go about doing it.

Sorry I'm not much help, I just wanted to tell you its an awesome idea and I'm sure it would help a heck of a lot of people.You are awesome!!! I wish you the best of luck :) :hug:

Lynn!

3. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I never knew they existed either. Maybe you could put flyers up in your local time, advertising it, a time and a place. And see how it goes from there. Hope it goes well and that this helped. :hug:

4. Robin

Robin Guest

Groups can be formed via google if you wanted to create an online support group but the moment you involve professionals you expose them to liabilities, especially in the real world, Plus, am not sure about Hawaii but in the Uk mental health services are usually so stretched that they have little time outside the work place to devote to the mentally ill, we are, at the end of the day, have the potential to be a very difficult and energy consuming group to work with.

5. CinnamonLover

CinnamonLover New Member

Sorry for being late to the party, but I've been scouring the web trying to find Suicide Anonymous groups and I came across this thread.

Suicide Anonymous is non-professional by its nature, just as an AA group is non-professional. Of course, if a professional were a suicide addict, s/he could attend as a member, not as a supervisor. My SA home group has a university instructor, a stay-at-home mother, a nurse and a business analyst as home group members, for example. None of us are mental health professionals; however, if someone in crisis were to show up, we would be able to sit with them during the meeting and help them find professional help.

One option you may try is to find a place that already has twelve step meetings, such as a church or community center, and ask them about the possibility of your starting a Suicide Anonymous group there. The link below has some more information on Suicide Anonymous which may be helpful. Flyers would be helpful; I hope that in the next few months we may have some examples of flyers on our website.

http://www.suicideanonymous.net

Cheers,

James W.