How do I get diagnosed with BPD?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by feathers, Feb 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feathers

feathers Well-Known Member

No one will take me seriously. No one even wants to. It's like they hear me say "I think I have BPD" and they instantly tell me "no you don't" without even listening to the fact I hit every criteria and then have all the other BPD issues on top of that. Black and white thinking, stuff like that. My life is constant crisis. I live from crisis to crisis. Yet no one seems to want to listen to me. I know psychiatrists are reluctant to diagnose BPD but this is just ridiculous. I just want to get diagnosed so that I can get appropriate BPD treatment and put on mood stabilizers because my ADs are doing nothing for me, because they're not what I need! I have stupid mood swings from top of the world to suicidal in seconds and it is so exhausting and difficult to deal with. I keep doing crazy, out of control things that I never thought myself capable of and it's because it's not me doing them it's this other "side" to me that takes over. Honestly I just want to get the help I need and no one seems to want to give it to me. I've gotten almost to the point of trying to fake bipolar to get mood stabilizers, I'm that desperate.

I just need one thing to say to them that'll make them have to diagnose me because telling them every single criteria of BPD doesn't seem to be doing it. What do you people say to actually get diagnosed and get the help you need? >.< I know you'll probably want to say "you don't want to be diagnosed with BPD" but that is the only way they will give me mood stabilizers, I have to be diagnosed before they will!

K x
  2. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Fact is i hit every single criteria for many many various things. You will notice that you probably hit all the criteria for bi-polar, severe depression, clinical depression, schizo affective disorder, many different personality disorders, adhd and an lot more besides. Even if you do get diagnosed all you will get is talking therapy like CBT and only if that fails you will get mood stabilisers.
  3. me myself and i

me myself and i Account Closed

Only you know inside how you feel, not others.
    Stay honest, with yourself and others.
    I dont really know nuch about BPD, but what i do know is that it is a soul destroying condition.
    Stay strong Kazine, talk to who ever you need to about this, you deserve the help you want, so it will come, i promise you.
  4. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Honestly, I'm surprised that you've found psychiatrists reluctant to diagnose BPD. I was at a psych hospital once, and they seemed BPD-diagnosis happy -- somehow I managed to escape the diagnosis, but it seemed like it was what they were giving everyone.

I'm not sure what to recommend to you. I think there's a fine line between being proactive and sticking up for yourself, and self-diagnosis. Have you ever talked to a psychiatrist who you felt like they were listening to you? There's so many bad psychiatrists.. so I guess my suggestion would be to look for one who seems to listen to you carefully - not one who will give you the diagnosis you want. Who knows.. maybe you don't have BPD, maybe you have something else? It's hard to self-diagnosis. But you definitely deserve a psychiatrist who is doing more since clearly the ADs aren't working.
  5. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

i think i might have spoken to you before about this.

Anyway i just wanted to say that you don't need a Borderline diagnosis to get mood stabilisers. Well i didn't anyway.
  6. feathers

I don't hit the criteria for many things. It's not just hitting the criteria either. It is the way in which my life plays out. Everything fits, literally. I know that this is what is going on with me. Nothing else fits like this does.

Not even seeing a psychiatrist. Saw one once, he didn't listen to me at all, said I don't have BPD and sent me on my way without saying what could be wrong.

My doctor said you can only get them with a diagnosis of say bipolar or BPD. Not seeing a psych (see above) :/. Like I said, no one seems to want to help me.

K x
  7. Kaos General

And there we have it, your self diagnosing which is why your not being taken seriously.
  8. feathers

Why would they do that? I'm making their job easier. They just need to test me to see if I'm right.
  9. Kaos General

Because your telling someone who spent at least 5 years at university what you, who is going by something you read online, how to do their job. Your probably the 100,000 person theyve seen that week who has done the same thing.
  10. Romancer

Romancer Well-Known Member

your logic doesn't make any sense, you act as if doctors know everything cause they are somewhat educated. ^^
  11. feathers

He knows fuck all about me 'cause he was too stubborn to listen to a word I fucking said.
  12. black orchid

black orchid Well-Known Member

It does make sense, if you walk into a doctors and say 'i feel like such and such' or 'such and such is happening' they are more likely to investigate and diagnose.

If you walk in and say this IS what is wrong with me now treat me for it, they'll say fuck off basically and won't bother listening.
  13. alison

alison Well-Known Member

Well there's your problem. Can you see a different psych? Who are you getting meds from anyways, a GP? If you think you're condition is more complicated than just depression, I really think you should see someone other than a GP.

I wouldn't recommend going in and saying some version of "I have BPD, give me a diagnosis." Not only will they probably be annoyed, but its not the most helpful information to give them. Instead of giving them your diagnosis, maybe you could write out your symptoms? In my experience that makes them more likely to listen, and it is more helpful in the long run.

Also.. are you in any sort of therapy? Regardless of diagnosis, that can do a lot of good. I'd recommend looking for a good dbt group. I'm not BPD, but I can relate to some of the symptoms, so I really liked dbt and found ti really helpful. DBT was made for people with BPD (although it can be used to treat others as well), so you may find that helpful.
  14. Kaos General

Why? Did you go in there like you keep posting here insisting you have BPD? By the way even if he did take you seriously you will be referred to a psych, theres no way out of it, your doc will not prescribe you mood stabilisers because its out of their field of expertise. Are you ready to see a pstchiatrist?
  15. feathers

Funny I don't remember saying "this IS what is wrong" I said I THINK that this may be possible. No need to be so presumptious.

Yes I'm getting meds from my GP. Having difficulty getting to see another psych. Takes months. as I said earlier I didn't say "I have BPD, give me a diagnosis" I went in and laid out my symptoms and why I believed myself to have it. I'm also on a 4 month waiting list for CBT.

It WAS a psychiatrist. And no, AGAIN, I was not INSISTING. Yes I would like to see a psychiatrist on a regular basis but he just dismissed me despite my issues.
  16. Kaos General

You state here your not even seeing a psych

Now you are seeing one? Why you getting angry for?
  17. feathers

Because you just seem to be slyly insulting me is why I am getting angry, and acting as if I'm completely stupid. I am not, so please do not treat me as such.

I saw a psychiatrist, ONCE. I am not SEEING a psychiatrist. I will not be going back to him, as he dismissed me, as I've already said >.<.
  18. Kaos General

I have done no such thing, i dont slyly insult anyone, if im going to insult someone i will insult them. Im asking you simple questions that your getting enraged at. Ok so try this then. Say you get your diagnosis for BPD and you get given mood stabilisers and they dont work, what then?
  19. feathers

Then I'll have to find another treatment, won't I? Trial and error. That is all any of this is.
  20. Kaos General

Have you ever been to the doctor before convinced you had something else?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.