How do I get help?

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by anarulesmenow, Mar 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. anarulesmenow

anarulesmenow Well-Known Member

I am so close to getting rid of myself, and I think I need help.The only problem is, I dont know how.I have been to therapists before and I can never talk to them.I find it easier to talk to my friends but I still cant say everything as I always feel like Im burdening them if you get me. I have ocd,eating disorders,stress,anxiety,depression(although i may be bipolar) and i am an alcoholic. I have also attempted suicide before. I am only 17, so I dont know how to get help and I am so ashamed that I dont want to tell my parents.
  2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Well I am glad you found us as I think the support and caring you get here will help for sure, it helped me.

I myself had trouble telling my parents so I wrote them a letter and put it on their bed and ran and locked myself in my room so I could let them sit on it and that worked a lot.
    Maybe other members will post better ideas but that is my advice.

Please continue to post so we can aid you, we are here and we understand what you are going through.

Do you care to talk a bit about what has got you so down?
    It sure helps to get it all out and that way we can lend a hand too, lean on us as that is what we are here for.

take care and feel free to PM me too, I am around a fair bit and will get back to you.

Hugs Bambi
  3. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

What help is it that you think you need?
  4. ballinluig

ballinluig Well-Known Member

Im a wee bit older than you but have gone through the same feelings as you are doing. Im a recovering alcoholic and have bipolor/atypical depressive disorder. It is hard. I have tried for may years to get help. My best friend was the help I needed to start with. Its taken a while for her know the signs to look out for and yes I must confess I have help with the aid of a dr/psyc hospita/ and now a psychiatrist. My firiend used to come with me to see my Dr and she told him how I was actually feeling.

The way Ive always gone is to write letters and put down exactly how I feel and then hand them in or post them through my Drs surgery.

Keep in there, keep posting or pm me if it would help. Take care donnax
  5. anarulesmenow

I don't think I can tell my parents and whenever I've been to counselling before I just literally can't talk, no matter how much I want to.My parents always butt in with the counselling too, so if I did something like that then I wouldn't want them to know.However, as I live with them I don't see how that's possible I want to be able to trust and confide in a friend so much, but I don't know if I can.
  6. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

you could tell your councelor/parents that you really need to see the councelor by yourself...friends are good but they're not trained with the coping stradegies that councilors can teach/ help you with...
  7. anarulesmenow

i dont currently have a councellor and im not sure how to get one without my parents.even if i said i didnt want them to interfere, they would do.i know friends are trained, but i think it might be a little bit easier to talk to one.thanks for the advice though.
  8. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

I feel for you....

It takes time to find the right person to feel comfortable with to share BUT it takes the right person to ask us the right questions and get us to speak. I have never had a bold enough clinican to challenge my thinking or get me to talk...I always end up manipulating them and they don't even know it.

Can I ask, when it comes to the intake or assessment, are you able to be forthcoming with all the issues and behaviors you are concered about?
  9. anarulesmenow

There are some things that I'm not so willing to come forward with.However, I think I would be more likely to be able to talk about these things with a friend rather than a therapist.
  10. anarulesmenow

I asked a friend last night (well about this morning to be exact) on facebook if I could perhaps talk to her sometime. I asked her just as she was about to go offline, and she said to send her an inbox message about it. I was about to, and then I just couldnt, I didnt know what to write. Maybe it's because I don't like the idea of that email sitting there in her inbox with all that stuff in it that will make her see me in a really different light.
  11. jenniferelaine

jenniferelaine Well-Known Member

Why aren't you telling your parents?

Personally, I am petrified of hospitalization. I. WILL.NOT.BE.HOSPITALIZED. It is not up for debate. (This involves a bit of chess-playing with therapy and the law, but I digress).

I was first sent to therapy when I was 16 for an eating disorder and depression (changed to BP later). Because I was so afraid of hospitalization and what would be told to me parents, I utterly refused to cooperate. I stopped going.

When I was 17, almost 18...I decided that it might be okay to try again *only for the mood disorder*. Partially because we lived in a rural area with few child therapist/psychiatrists and because I was almost 18, they let me be treated as an adult. So adult drs, and my parents weren't privy to my sessions or anything like that. This arrangement lasted a few months until my therapist went on maternity leave...then I kind of quit therapy.

If it's an issue of your parents believing parents went through that stage too. They never had a problem with my ED (you could kind of see it), but the mood disorder threw them for a loop, until I started pointing out specific things, and they were like.."oh, that's not right".

And a relationship with a therapist is all about trust. You can build trust with a therapist..
  12. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

Turning to friends can be a bad move, they can react badly and make you feel even worse. I would advise you to go to a doctor, tell them whats going on and that you need to see a therapist. You are over 16 so your parents wont be involved, or at least they shouldnt be.
    What country are you in?
  13. anarulesmenow

Im from the UK.I dont think i could tell my parents or a doctor.
  14. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

try see if theres a branch near you Other wise I would suggest you go to your GP, it will be confidential and your parents wont be told. I think it will help you more than talking to a unqualified friend who could turn their back on you :hug:
  15. shazwackers

shazwackers Well-Known Member

I would be better off talking with a professional than a experience with telling friends is that its best to tell them about these type of feelings AFTER you have seen a doctor and have come to terms with how you feel.............if you tell a friend they will be asking you all sorts of questions that you just cant answer at the moment and may give you wrong advise.......keep posting here about how you feel........there's loads of people here with lots of experience who have helped me............
  16. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

So agree, many friends, family and loved ones, don't know how to stomach the in depth emotions associated with our conditions. YOu are not just having a "bad" day that a friend is going to talk you out of.....we're pretty similar in dx's. I've been with my ED for 2o yrs or so and imho, it's not an easy topic for the loved ones in out life to understand or help resolve. It's helpful to have friends be on notice and be a support system but act to resolve it......not a good idea.

Naturally, when you find a therapist you are comfortable with, you will naturally's the same on the other end. Clinicians are just as nervous or uncomfortable the first few times too...we are all human.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.