How do i go about talking to my parents?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by so long and goodnight, Mar 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. so long and goodnight

so long and goodnight Active Member

basically i am at college 8 hours away and turned off my phone and never went on aim or anything for a week to cut all contact from people because i was so depressed that i didnt want to be bothered with other people. After smokin some weed and writing a song now i feel a lot better than before. people have left voicemails pretending to be worried about me. I didnt care about my moms voicemails but there was one where my dad was crying and said he couldnt sleep....i think everyone knew what i was up to since they saw my suicidal tendencies when i was 11. After hearing my dads voicemail it just ruined my apetite....he was the one who took care of me and raised me and invested all of his hard earned fuckin money on me after the divorced. plus he is paying my college tuition which i am failing at by the way, it made me feel like shit. i told myself not to listen to my voicemails because i knew it would make me sad and it did.

but anyway, how do i talk to my parents now? they are gonna be asking me whats wrong etc. and i really dont want to tell them anything at all...what should i say?

2. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I think by now, as you said your dad will have a fair idea something is very wrong. Is the problem that you will find it difficult to tell him or are you concerned about what his reaction will be?
    He has brought you up since the divorce, he is paying your fees, he is obviously worried about you.... how do you think it will make you feel to talk to him? Sounds to me like he would be supportive but it's you who knows him.

3. so long and goodnight

so long and goodnight Active Member

i just dont want to tell him that im basically failing college and its not what i want to do. He is the type of parent who believe that i need n education and all that but i really dont want to do it. i dont know how he will react to that. but i know damn well he wont be happy about it

4. Christianv2

Christianv2 Well-Known Member

Your dad sounds like he cares about you, what ever he may believe, he is still gonna care for you no matter what career choice you make. He may be upset, but this is the kind of thing that is about your life, this isnt an insult to him. Its what you want to do with your life, and what you want accomplish doesnt include getting a college degree. This is the kind of thing that should be handled in person but that doesnt really work for you. Maybe see if there is a counselor at your college and maybe talk to them. Maybe you can accomplish what you like by maybe changing colleges or changing your major/classes. Best of luck.

5. Hazel

Hazel SF & Antiquitie's Friend Staff Alumni

I can see that he won't be happy about it, maybe rather than telling him first off that you want to quit college you explain to him about how awful you are feeling. That way he may well see for himself that college at this time may not be the best option.
    I honestly believe that if you can bring yourself to talk to him it will help, yes he will be disappointed, yes he may say hurtful things (& immediately regret them) but I think you leaving college will be a lot less than what he is fearing right now.
    Can you go and talk face to face, I realise you are a long way apart but if you could arrange to meet (maybe half way), I think it would be better than by phone.

Hazel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.