How do I help her?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Lethal Photography, Jul 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lethal Photography

Lethal Photography Well-Known Member

My sister has been so depressed/manic over the past few months and I don't know how to help her. She refuses to take her medicine, saying she's "waiting until I'm in an emotionally stable place." She's always close to tears and I don't know what to say. What are some of the things you guys have wished someone had done/would do for you or say to you?

2. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

The meds are supposed to help put her in an emotionally stable place. Encourage her to take them as they may help lift her depression. Even with meds it takes awhile to notice the effects. When a person feels severely depressed there is not much you can say that helps them to feel better. Be there to listen and support them. Let them know they are important to both you and others. They need to feel loved. The tendency may be to isolate themselves from others, but don't let her. Give her space but don't let her with draw. Beyond that just keep encouraging her.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.