How do I make my self go?

Discussion in 'I Need Some Practical Advice (New Forum)' started by calvinandhobbs, Oct 2, 2016.

1. calvinandhobbs

calvinandhobbs Well-Known Member

I lay in bed . I don't get up because I can't make myself. What can I do to help me get up?

2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Maybe reward yourself with something you like. Do you have a pet or something that you have to take care of.

calvinandhobbs likes this.
  3. calvinandhobbs

I have a dog, she runs in the back. I can't walk her because it hurts my back and she pulls. I agree that if I got up I would feel better , I just don't know how to do it. I know it sounds stupid. Sorry .

4. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I have this problem - I especially find that the longer you wait, the harder it is. I suggest you set an alarm and put it across the room as far from the bed as you can get it. If possible, put another one (a LOUD one) in he room next door so you have to get out of bed to turn it off. Once you're up, do NOT get back in bed.

5. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

Putting an alarm in another room sounds like a good idea. I should try that.

6. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

I used to do that too, put a very loud alarm downstairs so I would be forced to get up and turn it off. But I always had dogs, so I had to get up to take them out or I would have a mess to clean up. Another thing I used to do was keep my medicine in the kitchen, when I was taking medicine. That way I would have to get up to take the pills. I think another good thing is, if you like coffee, get yourself one of those coffee makers with a timer on it. That way you can put a coffee maker in your bedroom, and maybe the smell of the coffee will wake you up, and get you out of bed.

7. Thauoy

Thauoy Well-Known Member

When I feel like that, I myself forced to get up and take a shower with warm water. Then after having green tea , I go out for walk.

Petal and calvinandhobbs like this.
  8. Hiraeth

Hiraeth Member

You could try drinking plenty of water before sleeping. With the added benefit of hydrating you for your long hours of rest, it would assist in creating urges to get out of bed :D
    Not recommended if you have a weak bladder.

9. BlackGrey

BlackGrey The Cheery Fool

Eh, I force myself to roll out of bed and onto the ground (my bed's only like a foot up). The ground is usually not comfortable so that forces me to get up. Although you probably shouldn't use this method if you already have back problems...

10. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Sometimes I let myself stay in bed for a bit. I tend to get up more readily if have a few things that others are counting on me to do. I guess that begins with feeding my kitty-cat. Other things that will get me out of bed are the temptation of a special breakfast, or going out somewhere, even just for a nice walk.

11. calvinandhobbs

You guys are so great... I love all your ideas. So my dog woke me up, let her out , had coffee, now I'm back in bed for a bit. Ya right, Sherri . I will try and get out later and do dishes as I have no clean dishes left and can't see my counter and it kinda smells. It's that incentive to stay out of bed. Or shall I say try to find the worth of cleaning my house. Thanks for the awesome ideas.

Petal, Thauoy and Frances M like this.
  12. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

I pondered an answer to this one while at work today. Here's my thought. It really seems that it is your ex who is sticking it to you and making you feel like this. When you lie around in bed and hide from the world you are letting him win. I know you don't want him to win. So think of getting up and about and getting involved in life as a way to kick him in the balls. :)

13. calvinandhobbs

I have a visual ... Lol... This is for me ... Kick.... This is from Bear.... This is from Brian .... This is from ocd .... This is from witty, and climber, and mox and .... Can't name all if you . It's funny because I know that he hates hearing when im happy... He steps things up. He was on cloud 9 when I attempted suicide in Feb and was in ICU. Good. Thank you.

14. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I would use the steel toed boots, but that's just me. Ok, I didn't say that :p But it will be a proverbial kick in the balls when you get out and enjoy life. Be happy and make him mad as hell! Just laugh because it is childish to get mad at someone for actually being happy. Don't let him get you down, it is what he wants. Remember all the people here who support you and want you to succeed.

15. calvinandhobbs

You guys are so sweet and really are the reason I am still here. Brian literally saved my life.

Brian777 and Witty_Sarcasm like this.
  16. Witty_Sarcasm

You are important and I am glad that the people on this forum have helped you so much :)

Brian777 and calvinandhobbs like this.
  17. calvinandhobbs

Me, too. I'm thankful.

Frances M likes this.
  18. BarryW

BarryW Well-Known Member

Keeping tablets, tv's, laptops etc out of the bedroom can help you get out of bed.

Aether and calvinandhobbs like this.
  19. calvinandhobbs

I got up and thank you for the ideas. Coffee... Did the trick. :)

Wiltingone, draws and Witty_Sarcasm like this.
  20. Witty_Sarcasm

Glad you were able to get up :) Coffee is like magic, lol.