How do I not get upset by people calling me crazy and psycho?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by sunshine1994, Mar 8, 2013.

1. sunshine1994

sunshine1994 Member

I think I am a completely normal person and I never had an psychotic behavior. I am easily angered, but I've gone to therapy for that.

I've been dating my boyfriend for a couple years now and about two months ago we got into a fight that left me in a compromising position. I am completely aware that I acted out of line and I went to counseling to talk about what happened.

During this fight my boyfriend got upset with me because of something I said and it escalated to him making a huge scene and screaming that he wanted to go home. I tried to calm him down so that he wouldn't go home and do something stupid, but that didn't work. I ended up getting worked up and he pushed me so I pushed him back and at one point I accidentally scratched his neck. I called him a couple times when he was home but he had gone home to his parents and wasn't paying attention to me. My next reaction was completely irrational which was I changed his email password so I could get his attention. It did, but obviously wasn't good.

My boyfriend had previously been abusive to me and hit me a few times so I don't know if that is what triggered this behavior. I know what I did was wrong and I have not done anything like that before or after. His mother went around telling people I was crazy and happy that we weren't dating anymore and she showed people the pictures of his scratch. She also told people that he wanted to get a restraining order. Now everyone thinks I'm psycho and crazy and nobody likes me at home. It really depresses me.

I am still dating my boyfriend, but he hasn't told anyone because he's scared that his parents will freak out (even though he is 19 years old.) I just feel disrespected by his mother because she stooped to a high school level when I kept my mouth shut about everything her son had done to me so I wouldn't ruin his reputation.

Now that everyone is calling me crazy and I lost all my friends I don't know how to get over these things or ignore them. Before anyone calls my psycho, know that I am aware that my behavior was COMPLETELY IRRATIONAL. So please, help me out rather than slander me like everyone else has been.

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

You have every right to get upset if someone calls you psycho or crazy, especially if they don't know everything that's happened. I just think it's rude to call names like that. As for the relationship with your boyfriend, if you are always pushing each others buttons, and getting into verbal (and especially physical) altercations, it doesn't sound like a healthy relationship at all. If you bring each other down, or bring the worst out in each other, then maybe it is best to move on.

3. zaneknight

zaneknight Active Member

You're in a relationship with someone who isn't providing for you, isn't supporting you, and is physically hurting you. Call me brute but he sure as hell isn't worth your time, nor is he worth the effort to retain. He ran home to his MOTHER? At 19 years of age? That's absolutely pathetic; if he can't act mature at that stage, then he sure as hell isn't changing anytime soon. Sunshine, you're far above that.

You've recognised your own problems and taken steps to fix them, proving you've got excellent self analysis and have no issues on that front.

The next logical step is to stop the slander. First things first are to tell people (who YOU CARE ABOUT) the truth, and how he's slandering you for getting into a fight. If people aren't realising how pathetic he is from his mother showing pictures of a "scratch" (Jesus, even if it was a stab wound, that's just sad), then they clearly aren't worth your time. Either way, let people know your side of the story; you can't win a battle if you don't even show up, right?

Sunshine, I can understand the wrongness of the situation you're in. I can understand what it is to be in a relationship you don't want to just sever. But you need to recognise that HE isn't dealing with HIS issues. And that you deserve better. Slandering his reputation doesn't matter, you're above that. But him slandering you is unforgivable. And physical violence is simply disgusting. Flip the bastard off, and get out of that sinkhole asap. If anything, you need to have HIM restrained. Stay safe and stay on SF, people here can help you. And don't give up.

4. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

How can these people be considered friends when they act this way? Anyone who belittles you in this way do not have your best interest at heart and are clearly not well developed....also, maybe this is the time to examine whether your bf is truly someone you should be with...no one has the right, especially someone intimate, to abuse you