How do I relax?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Athnys, Apr 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Athnys

Athnys Well-Known Member

My accounting teacher and adviser told me that one of my many problems is that I don't ever seem relaxed. I don't understand why; I can't lower my shoulders any further than they are. I keep my hands to myself when I sit or stand; either they're at my side while standing, or they are on my lap if I'm sitting with no table in front of me. I have good posture most of the time.

He also said that if I wear a short-sleeved polo shirt, to keep the topmost button unbuttoned. He didn't say why, though, and I figure that if there is a top button then it is meant to be buttoned while worn.

So how do I give off a relaxed attitude without slouching? I just don't get it.
  2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

What a weird thing for a teacher to say to you....... something like that would just increase the chances of not appearing relaxed, because now you're more conscious of it, lol! If this person is your adviser and tells you you have many problesm - I would find myself another one, if you can, and try to forget their really, really, unhelpful input!
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't know if there's much of a correlation between your posture and being relaxed. It's more of an internal thing than external. I don't think that you should change just because others told you to. Only do it if you feel that you need to.
  4. cie

cie Banned Member

You aren't meant to do up the top button. Not entirely sure why it's even there, maybe just for when it's really cold? :p
  5. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

Do you feel unrelaxed? He might mean comfortable, or sorta carefree. ... idk about that and relating that your problems. At best you should want to be a bit more relaxed, and if you enjoy the way you are now, keep it that way. :S what a dodgy thing to say to a student. Though, if this is for accountancy, or something to do with your future or interacting with people, your teacher may be trying to point out things about your presentation that are giving off a non-relaxed persona. Again... dont dig into that too much though.
    I mean if you care to have your body a certain way, keep it that way until you want to change or let go of it for a good reason. A relaxed attitude at best is able to flow from topic to topic and be light about what you are doing. If you're doing methodical work that's factual, roll your sleeves up, don't think too much about how youre posture is or how you look and try to just enjoy what you're doing.

I donno, it's difficult to make out the point of that comment.. btw about the button, yeah i suggest having it not buttoned up. It's a style thing thats "evolved". Usually if you button all the way to the top, it's for something formal. But even in formal, you'll find the top neck section exposed. It's body language at the end of the day. It kinda shows that the person is"open" and not withholding things. Relates to relaxing and trust at that point, and a relaxed nature to worth ethic and presentation. Which depends on a few things. In your case, .. well it's personal choice. If you enjoy the button done up, button up :) If you're doing it just because it's there, and you feel you should... go for it. But in general, id lean to having it not buttoned :) Having something so tight around my neck makes me want to have a straight back :D which is probably the point lol.

Honestly though, I highly doubt your problems relate to this unless you're having difficulty with people in someway. But even on that... it's not a big deal. Good posture and body positioning is very important, especially in a social world. But there are times when letting go of that conditioning is appriopriate. You won't go to a club and sit down in a booth with your hands on your lap, and your back shooting straight up. That shows something you completely don't want to.. well actually it shows whatever. But it's far from relaxed. ... but in truth... being relaxed depends on what is relaxing for you. Are you worried about presentation or is it just the way you want it to be/enjoy?
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.