How do I tell her?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by imalone, Nov 25, 2015.

1. imalone

imalone Well-Known Member

At school we have those days known as "PD days" which are supposed to be "fun" but for me they are the worst days at the school. We stay in our form groups all day being put into groups to do projects or listening to talks and stuff. People find it fun but I have only 1 friend (and of course she isn't it in my form) so on those days I have no one to talk to. I am moaned at when I get put in a group and the list goes on and on. they really destroy me. I told my mum I really don't want to go but she just says nothing, so I guess I'm going.

But I have decided I want to tell my mum ,at least, about my depression and harmful thoughts but I just can't do a face-to-face serious conversation without backing out or crying lots. I don't know how to tell her. If I found the right way to tell her I could have the days off school to re-group, I could see a therapist with my friend and I could truly be recovering but I'm too cowardly to say anything. I need help please, any suggestions on how to tell my mum? Any ideas will be appreciated and thank you so much for actually reading this.
  2. Tear

Tear Active Member

Hi. Could you write your thoughts/feelings on a piece of paper and give her to read it?
    2 people like this.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

This is A1 (excellent advice). Writing it out can save you from a lot of things such as that shocked look on her face when you tell her. Does she use the internet/emails? You could e-mail her too. i hope she will be compassionate caring and kind and she will know the strength it took you to tell her. I really feel for you, if there is anything I can do to help just PM me :)
    2 people like this.
  4. imalone

Thank you I might try this
  5. imalone

She does use Internet/emails. Thank you so much
  6. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

When I was about 13 or 14 I injured myself in gym class. The doctor I saw recognized that I was in emotional distress and offered to recommend a therapist. I got mad at him and never went back. I refused to tell my mom what happened. I have often wondered how different my life would be if I had listened to the doctor and talked to my mom. It would have been very hard to talk to her, but she would have listened, and I suspect my life would have been much better.

I hope you find the strength to share your situation with your mom. A note, or email would be a great approach. It may be just the thing to turn your life around.

Take care.
    2 people like this.
  7. imalone

I hope you are okay and thank you so much.
    2 people like this.
  8. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Thank you for your concern imalone. I am in my 60's now, so I am a survivor. But always wonder if I might have done more then just survive if I had gotten help when young. Maybe I would have found happiness and someone to share my life with. I will never know. But I certainly hope you are able to communicate your situation with your mom. I would hate for you to be wondering the same things when you are older. Or should I say OLD!
    2 people like this.
  9. Sigerson H.

Sigerson H. Member

Hey I dont know if you still need help at this but, here goes my suggestion: ever heard about 20 seconds of pure courage? use it. Basically just let everything but your courage down. For 20 seconds, you are invencible, unbeatable. Use that time to tell her... the first step is always the hardest, so do it with courage! I had the same problem you did, and that "20 seconds of courage" thing fixed it. I still used it now and then, always works. "For anything in your life, all it takes is 20 seconds of courage. Nothing else"