How do i tell my parents??

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by bbbbb18, Nov 26, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bbbbb18

bbbbb18 Member

I am young & still live with my parents. We pretty much have a great relationship. They can tell something is off, and have been asking "What's wrong?", I want to tell them... I'm just not sure where to begin or even where to say. I am asking because I know many here are already experienced and seeking help. Please help. I appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
  2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hiyas, it is great that you have a great relationship with your parents, that will make this easier I hope, I would start by saying ''I'm feeling a bit down or blue'' and tell them you should probably get a ''check-up'' at the doctors, there really is no other way than just to start off slowly at your own pace.

How do you feel they would react? Also, how old are you?
  3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Please do not worry, Tell your parents and they will help you get through this tough period of life. You are important and we get you through this tough period. Keep posting and explain what is causing you grief and anguish.
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2014
  4. bbbbb18

bbbbb18 Member

I feel they may blame themselves or tell me I'm fine and to just wait it out... I feel they would are very ignorant on the topic. I am turning 15 soon.. Thanks for the input.
  5. bbbbb18

bbbbb18 Member

Thank you, for all your help
  6. Petal

14/15 such tough ages. The transition from being a child to adult can be very hard for some people. Perhaps you could talk to a school counselor? Maybe just say your feelings and see what she/he suggests?
    I understand what you mean by some people being ignorant to these issues. They just don't get it and maybe never will.

Best of luck to you-I urge you to talk to someone.
  7. True-Lee

True-Lee Well-Known Member

bbbbb18, I hope that you do talk with someone, preferably your parents, if you do get along with them. I really never talked to mine, I wished I had now but that is far in the past. You seem to be vary mature and keyed into to your parents so many older people seem to be uneducated on mental health issues but they can still learn, you may still post here for support or even just questions. It will be better to deal with this now rather then wait till you are older as so many people do, In my opinion.

I really wish you the best, I do hope you get what you need, People are still here if you don't, Take Care of Yourself.
  8. Petal

You are very welcome. Have you made a decision on what to do? Or still thinking the whole thing through. I hope things get better for you,I really do.
  9. ToughItOut

ToughItOut Member

So what IS wrong?

Why are you feeling the way you do?
  10. fosty

fosty Well-Known Member

I'd recommend talking to someone. Parents always a first port of call. The fact that they may or may not understand is of lesser importance than the fact that they love you. Being open about being suicidal can be tough but the not saying and the hiding it can only do you harm. It can become something that festers and makes you worse inside.
  11. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

When I was your age I had a doctor who suggested I see a psychiatrist. He even offered to refer me to one. I got mad and offended. Never went to see him again. Never told my parents. I so regret that. Sometimes I wonder what my life would have been like if I had sought help when I was young. I know it would have been better. I hope you will talk to your parents. It will open up the possibility of help and a much better life then you would probably have without it. You are worth it.
  12. bbbbb18

bbbbb18 Member

Not quite sure the underlying cause... I have not been myself lately. Aggitated, unhappy, i rarely ever sleep or eat, many horrible thoughts... I have unfortunately acted on such thoughts as well.
  13. bbbbb18

bbbbb18 Member

Thank you all again so much!
  14. Petal

Acted on such thoughts?? Oh dear, I'm sorry I only saw this thread now. I hope you are okay :( :hug:
  15. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

hey B's : ) u can tell your father .. u want to talk .. once u say that .. rest wont be that hard as u r thinking .. once u tell him things will b easy
  16. bbbbb18

bbbbb18 Member

Ty Zaheer
  17. Petal

Best of luck to you :hug:
  18. bbbbb18

bbbbb18 Member

Ty Petal :)
  19. Big M

Big M Well-Known Member

I can tell you I was ashamed for years beginning when the thoughts of death came in my early teen years, I fought my depression alone and I could have done it much better with help. Depression was my big massive secret (although people suspected) for years and years. I didn't tell them about it seriously until I attempted it over a decade later. Do NOT wait that long, it's not worth the risk. I never thought I'd attempt until I did. And it wasn't a cry for help. People are just now coming to understand what I have lived with these years. The more you talk about it the more comfortable it gets with your parents. If I've learned one thing it's that parents don't have children to see them suffer in silence.
  20. bbbbb18

bbbbb18 Member

That was really helpful advice, thanks!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.