How do I thank my friend?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by SaraRose, Jan 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

I have one friend that lives on the other side of the US. She always has. We met at first on the internet and started talking. Long story short after a couple years- which we both fought with sever depression and saved each others lives many times- she came to meet up with me. We've always been the bestest of friends.

I have no idea how to thank her for everything she's done. I don't think she knows hot many times she's saved my life. Made me smile when I was so deep in depression. I can't outright just tell her. Somehow I never see me being able to ever say just how much she means to me and that it's because of her that I'm still alive.

But I feel like a horrible friend that I can't give her the world. I'd happily give up all my money, roof, food if it meant she would be safe. And yet I can't do anything but just being me. I hope and pray every day that that's enough for her!
  2. plshelpme

plshelpme Well-Known Member

could you tell her by writing it? write her a letter. that's what i would do.

or, idk if you have any money, but if so, buy her something she REALLY wants/needs but can't afford or can't justify spending the money on.

honestly though, if you could tell her what you just said here, i would probably accurately predict that she would say something similar back to you, and this would also bring you two closer. writing a letter will probably have the exact same effect, but just will take some time. hand-write a letter and send it in the mail. if you are not long-winded, maybe send a card and express your gratitude. don't do it electronically. there's something to be said about physically taking the time to find envelopes and stamps and a mailbox. email is too easy and less personal...

i think it is a great idea to tell her. it will really make a HUGE difference for her...and it will definitely strengthen your bond with her...
  3. SaraRose

SaraRose Well-Known Member

Thanks! I'm gonna try that. Maybe send it with her birthday gift, just as a note in the card. I wanna tell her that I am just thankful for her since all of my other friends have left me.
  4. 1Lefty

1Lefty Well-Known Member

I think that's the best idea. You beautifully expressed in your first post how important she has been.

If it's a mutual friendship, if you give her anything expensive (maybe even less than expensive), she may feel compelled to reciprocate. That introduces a new dynamic, which can really complicate a friendship.
  5. 3rd-autistic-cuckoo

3rd-autistic-cuckoo New Member

I second the "careful what you give" advise. My mum died last year, but I made a really good friend who saw me through a lot of deeply dark times. No words or money could express how appreciative I was, and I bought her a "thank you" Omega watch for xmas. To me it was a genuine, harmless thank you. She freaked. I'm waiting to see if we're still friends as I write.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.