How do people keep going?

Discussion in 'Work and Financial Problems (New Forum)' started by draws, Oct 7, 2016.

1. draws

draws Active Member

I like this Forum, thanks for setting it up.

I wonder how do people keep going when they chronically don't have enough money to get by. Is it possible to do this and NOT be depressed?
    electricalanomaly likes this.
  2. Frances M

Frances M Mountain Woman

That's a tough question. Five years ago, my answer would have been NO, it's not possible to be poor and NOT be depressed, because that was my life. I was struggling for so long and was nearly homeless a few times. My situation is not better financially now but I can say now that YES, it's possible to be poor and not depressed at the same time. The only reason I can say this now is that my perspective has changed, and so have my living arrangements. I downsized big time, I never go out, I don't buy anything for myself, I'm very frugal and I live in a low-rent area in the mountains. I'm able to pay the bills most months as long as the car and pets don't have any emergencies. But I guess I'm at a point where there are more important things, and I always (mostly) try to look at the best of every situation. It's the only thing that helps when things are really challenging.
    electricalanomaly and draws like this.
  3. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

You can keep going but you need to be strong. It's hard, I won't lie to you, but it's a personal choice. With the support of this forum, we can get you through this tough period of your life. Keep posting as we care about YOU.
    Ifihadonewish and draws like this.
  4. LifeLikeASong

LifeLikeASong New Member

What I'm more worried about is the lack of a job causing depression causing me to lack motivation to get a job. It's a never ending cycle at that point..
    Frances M likes this.
  5. Kehinde474

Kehinde474 New Member

6. Striking

Striking Well-Known Member

I was let go Friday and it was my 3rd job in the last two years. Ive always been underemployed or unemployed so money has been tight for most of my life. Health has never been an issue, luckily, which by the way is the #1 reason people go into bankruptcy. Lack of money does not depress me unless I compare myself to other people's economic statuses.
  7. Wallace

Wallace Member

Sounds like me too.
  8. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Been homeless living from paycheck to paycheck its just the attitude keep moving to survive mode that kicked in. I didn't really let depression get me down as I had enuff on my plate being legal and worrying about where to eat/sleep/crash/shower etc.