how do u ask for help ?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by TJ, Aug 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TJ

    TJ Staff Alumni

    ok , so this is kinda hard to write about , i suffer from bullemia , have now for 6 months , not long i know but long enuf for me ... tha last 2 weeks i havent eaten anything without throwing it striaght back up before that i was doing it only every so often , i didnt think i had a problem with it till tonite when i was talking with someone about it ( which was the first time ive talked about it ) this is the second time :?

    im ashamed of myself for being like this and i dunt want to be like this but i dunt know how to get help , i dunt know where to start ... im skeard of admitting i have a problem to my friends because i dunt want to worry them , but then i know there gonna find out if i keep going this way ...

    i dunt really noe what im trying to say apart froom that can anyone help me find the ways i need to help myself ?
  2. Bambi

    Bambi Well-Known Member

    Hi slice,

    Sorry to hear about the bullemia but I think it is great that you are reaching out for understanding and help.

    I don't consider myself as having an ED anymore although I weigh myself twice a day and am hypervigilant about my weight but asking for help no matter your disorder is very similar so am replying.

    I understand wanting friends to be a part of this aspect of your life but that can put a tremendous pressure on them as they are not the one that help but rather provide support while you are getting help, that is my opinion anyways.

    For me my ED was related to how I viewed myself therapy helped me resolve my ED so that is where I would start.

    I would go to my parents and ask for their help getting a therapist, you didn 't mention an age so am assuming you are living at home and apologize it this was wrong. I wrote a letter to mine about what I was struggling with as I could not handle a face to face talk. I left the note on the dining table and then went to my room and turned off the lights which was my signal to leave me alone. I just needed them to think about it for a bit and not bug me but that is just one way to reach out and ask for help.

    If you are on your own then simply go see a therapist because you need to understand why it is you are driven to do this to yourself.

    Of course we are all here to support you and offer distractions and share our experience but ultimately you have to delve into the psychological aspect and that is best done with a professional or so I believe.

    If I made some wrong assumptions let me know as I am really try to offer you the kind of advice you seeking.

    Also I admire your reaching out for help, it takes strength and you are to be commended for that.

    Hugs B
  3. TJ

    TJ Staff Alumni

    hey thanks , im actually 23 living with my gf at the moment , even she doesnt know what im doing altho because of not eating the last 2 weeks and throwing up what i have eaten im sure ses gonna figure it out soon , im skeard i really am .. its gotten to the point that if i even think about food i vomitt , let me know if theres anything else ud like to know if this will help u to help me , and thanks :)
  4. total eclipse

    total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

    Hey i think you need to find a coucillor to talk to or with a therapist. You have emotional issues that need be released and having a professional who understands these issues are the best. I tend to not eat at all when i am upset. My daughter had bulemia because she hated the way she looked. There are alot of reasons why one has bulemia and a professional can help you find these reasons and give you skills to stop doing this. Can you go talk to your doctor who will set you up with someone who can help. Hopefully others here with this disorder can give you more ideas but the best one is to get some pofessional help before it gets worse Good for you to recognize there is a problem and reach out for help.
  5. TJ

    TJ Staff Alumni

    thanks everyone for ur imput :) it really means alot to me to be able to talk about this and get some ideas , ive been given a couple of websites to look at which has been helpful , and i think im going to ring a helpline about it when i can ( ie .when i get the gutts to take the next step )

    talking to a councilor or thearpist doesnt really sound like me as i find it very hard to open up to ppl especailly when its face to face . :( but none the less im working on this so that it doesnt control my life as other addictions have / are ,

    maybe once ive found a doctor ill be able to talk with her ? im not to sure what they will be able to do tho ...
  6. sudut

    sudut Well-Known Member

    I am sorry this is happening to you.
  7. lost_soul

    lost_soul Staff Alumni

    im so sorry you have to go thru all this bs, but you need help getting thru it. ill be here no matter what and help you any way i can
    take care and stay safe
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.