How do we get over failures?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by angeljazz, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. angeljazz

angeljazz Member

How do we get over failures? I, for one, am tired of obsessing over and internalizing my mistakes... Some advice?

2. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

Look at them as opportunities Angela....... for self-awareness. As unwelcome as failures are, it's how we choose to think about them, the conclusions we draw from them, that will determine their eventual outcome. We can find the power to turn these experiences around to aid us, not to deplete us :)

Failure isn't fatal, it's only feedback. Don't let them affect your identity - choose to have an identity that learns how to integrate them. That way, instead of an obsessive vicious cycle, this gets reversed into an upwards spiral :) And, the likelihood of more failures becomes less........

of course, we're never going to be failure-free - that would be unrealistic to expect. Life is for learning, and we learn best by our mistakes, painful as they are.

And yes, I have come to this wisdom by a very painful and failure-ridden route :)

3. mieszko

mieszko New Member

I react to the words 'you are precious' with the answer 'yeah sure'

4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Just know hun we all make mistakes if we did not we would not be human As said learn from them hun and them move forward hugs

5. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

If no one has ever told you that, you probably struggle to believe it.

Objectively, everyone is. Our feelings often lie to us and we end up believing them instead.

Cynicism is not our friend, even if it feels good

6. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

I get over my failures by picking myself up, dusting myself off, and preparing myself to fail again. It's easy to forget past mistakes when you've preoccupied yourself with making new ones. :smile:

Cynicism is indeed my friend. It has brought me this far when I was ready to give up long ago. Optimism is what brings me despair. Why? Because when you are expecting the best, you are not prepared for the worst... so when the worst does happen, it is devastating. A pessimist will never be truly disappointed... a pessimist can only be pleasantly surprised, or right.

Am I precious? That depends who you ask. In the eyes of God, if there is such an entity, perhaps... in the grand scheme of the universe, however, absolutely not. I am a speck of mortal dust whose life begins and ends in the blink of an eye. What matters most to me is whether or not I am precious to those precious few who are precious to me.

7. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Learning what to do better next time. Learning about my reactions/responses that weren't the best and finding new responses that are constructive. It doesn't happen overnight (least, not with me!), so a few more falls, a couple of scrapes...I learn. It's also good as noted above to remember that we all make mistakes.

I'm glad that you don't want to keep going over yours in your mind now. Maybe figure out the lesson and keep moving now? :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.