how do you accept that you have depression?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by asking_advice, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

im trying to be positive but sometimes it makes me anger. why i need to have depression? i know i cant undo things.. i cant change my genes or parents..

i have a question..
    how do you accept that you have depression?

2. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

Acceptance does not necessarily mean approval. In the case, acceptance means recognizing the reality.

The next step is working up a program of managing depression that works for you. See your doctor to find out if you need medication. Seek therapy. Support groups are good too, this forum is an example of good support. Eat regular meals, try to sleep regularly, and don't do too much.

I ended up doing too much because I was doing for others what they should've been doing for themselves. I thought I was helping them but instead was keeping them from developing their own strength.

All of the above is done in steps. It takes time. Keep coming back here. You can read our posts and you can express any frustration you may be feeling with the process.

3. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

Couldn't have said it better myself. For me, a big part of treatment was recognizing that I did have a problem, which I was in denial about for many years. I didn't crash or get admitted to the hospital or anything like that when I decided to get treatment; I just realized that I was tired of running, tired of lying.

I've finally started treatment and I feel a lot better now. I can't gurantee that it works for everybody and that it's permanent, but I at least feel better than I have in years.

4. Mr A and the sky pilots

Mr A and the sky pilots Well-Known Member

Aye fair maiden is right!

5. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.