How do you confront and help someone?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Frank Smith, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Smith

Frank Smith Member

Just wondering if anyone here has dealt with depression, either for themselves or with a family member or friend. The reason I ask is because I think one of my closes friends is on anti-depressents and is genuinally suffering from some kind of life crisis. She had been calling me for weeks, asking me when am I going to see her as I had not seen her in months.

Yesterday I told her I would come around and see her, however, when I called her up to tell her that I was leaving, she told me she was looking after someone’s baby, a one year old. Not the situation I wanted to be in, so I told her to call me another day when she is free. Very uncharacteristically, she literally shouted NO!, telling me how I could still come over and the baby was not staying all day (the kids parents ended up coming at 22:00.

I was there from around 18:00 and ended up staying the night. She lives by herself in an estate flat, moving from her mums because of stresses (all her siblings, including a twin sister are major, bad-breed dick heads.)

On her counter I noticed she had a lot of prescribed pills. I took the names of as many I could before she came back to her room and when I got home, I found that Citalopram is something used for major depression. When I talk to her over the phone, the topic is always focused on how people piss her off and take advantage of her nice attitude without appreciating what she does. She does sound annoyed, but nothing to ever raise any alarms to a serious case of depression. However, just as often, she is in this mood where she is overly happy, despite still talking about her problems and how stressed she is. In fact, when I first met her yesterday, she seemed almost high, with an overly loud voice and joyous screams.

I want to confront her about the pills I found, or noticed. Does anyone have any experience with this or can offer any advice? Would be highly grateful for any sensible input.
  2. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Speak to her privately about the pills/tablets. Invite her around to yours or when your around her's and it's just the two of you, then ask her about the medication.
    See what her reaction is, whether she is reluctant to talk about it or ok/comfortable to do so.
  3. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I'm in a residential hospital, and I can tell you that I and two other of my peers here are all very good at something without even trying. We seem perfectly normal even at our most suicidal. The tendency to isolate is not only a physical thing - sometimes the horribly depressed can even isolate our feelings from everyone else.

About the whole MAJOR depression thing, don't take it too seriously. Major depressive disorder is actually a relatively common diagnosis. The major is just there to separate it from other diagnosis - like my mother has - that lowers mood but not really enough to provoke suicide or hospitalization. It isn't a good thing, but major depressive disorder is slightly less horrible than it sounds.

Citalopram is an anti-depressant of the same sort as Prozac or Zoloft, but is less common. In my limited experience, I'd say that means she's tried one or two other SSRIs before this. If they were prescribed, though, it means she has a doctor.

You don't have to really do anything. If you care and want to be in the know, though, just ask about it is the best advice I can give. Some things aren't easy.
  4. porcelain child

porcelain child Well-Known Member

If shes a good friend she will tell you in her own time.. she obviously doesn't want it too be a secret if she left them lying around... so maybe she will tell you in her own time...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.