How do you convince yourself to ask for help?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Kairo, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kairo

Kairo Well-Known Member

I think I am very depressed, and have a lot of issues like self harm and abuse that I haven’t dealt with very well on my own, but I’ve always been too afraid to get help. I’ve been afraid, or I’ve felt like I don’t deserve help...I guess I’ve come up with different excuses at different points in time...
    Now I have a very good opportunity to ask for help, and I think I might need it more than ever after a surgery I just had.
    I could literally call a nurse in right now or ask to see my doctor and tell them all my issues and ask for help, but I can’t bring myself to.
    I can tell I’m going to be in a very bad place when I get home, but even that fear isn’t pushing me. I freeze up and reject the idea as soon as i start really considering it.
    I end up telling myself it’s all pointless anyway. But if I leave this place not having asked for help, I don't think I ever will.

I dunno...just wondered if anyone else has struggled with this kind of thing...maybe someone has some advice.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2014
  2. Nelly1921

Nelly1921 Well-Known Member

It sounds like you are very depressed. It also sounds like now is a very good time to ask for help. The opportunity is right there for you. You don't need to tell them everything at once but you could just start with the smaller stuff.

If you leave it will be so much harder and you deserve to get the care you need. Please ask for help. Just let someone in there that you think you can trust know. Ask to see a social worker or someone from the mental health team. So many support networks can be put in place for you.

You do deserve it.

Ive left without asking before and you walk out those automatic glass doors and into the outside and it feels like the bottom just falls out of your life. Please just let them know. So much help is there for you.

I know its a huge step but when someone breaks an arm they don't have to x-ray and set their own cast? You are allowed help McGrapes. You deserve it. Ask for it. And take it.

3. Kairo

Kairo Well-Known Member

In my mind I think I still feel like I can fix things on my own. Or maybe I don't want help because if I go home I know how bad things are going to be and that I might end up finally ending it all.

Thanks for your words though, Nelly.
    Hopefully I can get up the courage to do it today. My doctor is coming to see me soon, I thought maybe I could write a note and just give it to him.
    I'm really disappointing in myself in so many ways...I'm very glad that I'm medicated right now lol
  4. Nelly1921

Nelly1921 Well-Known Member

A note sounds like a good idea. Remember that what ever you write is not "stupid" or "sound lame" because I'm sure that those will be the thoughts going through your head. Just a simple - I need help. I can't go home right now. I need some support and I need a team plan to get through the really bad time i am having right now.

You can do it. Don't go out the automatic sliding glass doors without giving yourself a chance.
    Im sorry you feel disappointed in yourself. Just admitting your feelings on an anonymous forum is a really big step. (cheer goes up from the crowd) :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.