How do you cope with loneliness?

Discussion in 'Strategies for Success' started by Tyr, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Tyr

Tyr Member

So I wanted to know how you guys deal (or dealt) with feeling so lonely?

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I usually just try to distract myself, to find new hobbies to do. Or I talk to people online, like on this site for example. It is hard for me to get to know people and actually talk to them. But it's something I am working on. I am sorry you feel lonely, but I hope you can find something to take your mind off those feelings.

Jenumbra likes this.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Distracting myself using the internet usually. Therapy. Netflix. SF chatroom is how I usually spend my days or nights. Right now i'm distracting but to be honest i'd kill to have someone safe to cuddle up with.

Witty_Sarcasm likes this.
  4. Jenumbra

Jenumbra SF Supporter

Going to Meetup groups, support groups in person and online, focusing on hobbies, going out by myself anyways to populated places like the library, reading at cafes.

MisterBGone and Witty_Sarcasm like this.
  5. Matthew Barber

Matthew Barber Well-Known Member

This is going to sound really stupid, but...

Speak to people.

Often, when lonely, you'll find yourself hiding away, or "turtling", which will simply increase your loneliness.

The key to no longer being lonely is finding like-minded people and getting yourself out there, whether it be finding clubs or going to support groups.

Now, this doesn't necessarily need to be physical. If you're more of an introvert, you may find it better to speak to people online, in which case, we're here, but naturally, physical communication is normally what's best.

Or at least that's what I make of it.

Petal and Brittless like this.
  6. NinaZ

NinaZ Active Member

I come on here and read the posts, it makes me feel like I'm part of a group (probably because I have no one) also going to work every day is important to me, it's my only social contact but I don't start until September so the summertime is really tough

Jenumbra likes this.
  7. Brian777

Brian777 Safety and Support Forum Pro SF Supporter

Hey Tyr, I know the feeling of loneliness, I lost my last family member last year. My dog Bella sure makes a difference for me, she motivates me to get outside. Also, trying to encourage people here makes a difference. So I guess that's what works for me. Hope you find something that works for you. Take care :)
    Brian

Brittless and Jenumbra like this.
  8. Brittless

Brittless Well-Known Member

I agree with Brian about pets. Dogs or any pets in my opinion really help with the loneliness. From them you can get companionship, be playful, and interact. And on sites like these you can find people who understand you mentally. I think pets are a good place to start and then from there it might be easier to create relationships with others.

Brian777 likes this.
  9. suzi

suzi Well-Known Member

agreed

10. Emily K

Emily K Member

Pets, and just going out in the world and doing something. Even just riding the bus to Downtown and going to the library can make me feel like I am part of something, even if it was just the 3:30 express bus community. Stuffed animals are godsends too. Also, a friend gave me a necklace and I wear it every day and I try to remember that someone cares enough to give me it, and that means something.

Jenumbra likes this.
  11. cren

cren Well-Known Member

usually i just watch vids online.. hoping nothing will remind me of someone.. or i'll sleep.. that's the best thing to do in life.. but only if i do it during the day.. i don't like sleeping at night.. since it makes the new day come faster..

12. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I am a strange one I feel lonely but only for certain people,like when my mom is working for example, but I do love being alone I cannot deny that. I think I am an introvert. But as of how to deal with loneliness call the samaritans, talking to them live will give you some relief. Music is great therapy too. Do you have a therapist? Looking forward to seeing them is a good idea too I think. Make new friends online, that will help :) (hugs)