How do you cope with suicidal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Inker19, Jul 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inker19

Inker19 Well-Known Member

Seems like a general question. But recently I've found myself seriously thinking about suicide almost daily. It's really disturbing and ironically it's preventing me from having a life. I don't know how to stop these thoughts from happening (except acting on them, of course).
  2. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Hi Brent. Although I'm not suicidal, I have had suicidal thoughts before. I'm sure that nearly everyone has thought about what death is going to feel like. The problem comes when thoughts become actions and you have the urge of acting on these suicidal thoughts. You have to be mentally strong and block out these suicidal thoughts. Put up a mental firewall and keep those thoughts out.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

you need to reach out to people around you and talk to someone you trust you need to perhaps get therapy to change your thoughts and even meds to help decrease the depression you need to get help for you okay don't wait until the thought overwhelm you can help now
  4. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

It is normal for people to feel that way sometimes. Its time to get help though. Go to a hosptial or therapist and tell them how you feel. Let them know whats bothering you so much. Tell us too.But defintily reach out to a doctor or therapitst as soon as possible. Dont let his go on. I just said a prayer for you and hope you are feeling better. Get help and start to live a happier life again. We want to help too. So give us all your sadness and oain we want to hear and then we will ofer all we have to help. Together we'll defeat this!!!!

PLEASE feel free to write or PM,

5. Inker19

I've called almost a dozen psychiatrist offices in my area, and the closest opening for an appointment was in October! I've been waiting far too long to get help and I don't want to wait anymore. I probably wouldn't make it to October the way I'm going.
  6. mike308

mike308 Well-Known Member

Finding us is a good step.
    Talking to REAL people who have been there and deal with it every day.
    I have not had good luck with "professionals" sad to say.
    they push therapy.. at a very expensive rate... to charge your insurance company.
    Or Meds that just make you... well different.
    I guess it's like that REM song about "shinny happy people"
    Tell us whats wrong??
    To be fair.. I only come here when I am down and blue, drunk mostly.
    Just so you know.
  7. Inker19

I just got an appointment with a psychiatrist who used to work with my former therapist. The first visit is $200... seems expensive but that's quite literally the cheapest I've found. I'm sure the pills won't be cheap, but I'll try to get some generics or something. Or I'll apply for Mass Health or something.

I've never tried the pills before, so I don't know how it'll effect me. I have taken Clonazepam before though, maybe I'll try to get a prescription for that.
  8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I let them flow.

OK, to sum up what I just wrote when I was very pleased/happy with how I cope this, and what i'd suggest is

-building up a support system with MH providers, or therapists, it can be as few as just ONE person, but that one person you have a good relationship can be so much.
    -having an outlet for expressing yourself, and reflecting on that. it's like being your own scientist- you will find patterns that help, and things that don't.

i personally can't tell you, but what i did say in the thing i just deleted because i realised it had nothing to do with the OP (I thought it was a poll or a thread like that)...was about grounding methods, routine, and some kind of structure for when you're suicidal. because i suspect, it can feel overwhelming and having order such as, sleep, eating, exercise can mean so much.

then again, i'm not you and i don't know the nature of what you go through when you're suicidal. i get very agitated myself.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2010
  9. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

Forget the money just get help . There are 12 step groups too that are free. They have helped me. Made new friends and had so much good come if it .TRY that too. And you have us. GREAT things are coming. HOLD ON. We are always here for you.ALWAYS!!!!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.