how do you cope with working

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by asvt, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asvt

asvt Well-Known Member

whats your occupation and how do you cope with working a full time job where do you get the strength to do it. I find my suidcidal thoughts so much worse when i am working and thats just a small part time job so how do you guys manage a full time job.

2. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

I think a busy job can actually help take your mind off of depressing thoughts. I used to work in a fast paced job and I was so emersed in doing a hectic schedule that depression wasn't really an issue until something specific triggered it.

Working in a busy job could actually be a key to beating depression, well for some people anyway.

3. mrclean4456

mrclean4456 Member

Unfortunately, because of my condition (major depression) over the last 20 years....I have been unable to work for the last 10 years...

i live on SS Disability...and it's very difficult...eveyday is a huge struggle for me...and frankly there are days (like today) where I'm just barely hanging on...and many times just want to end this pain and suffering...

I have tried doing things for work...but the reality is that my brain just won't allow me to...and this could also could be the result of several concussions I have had (per the dr)

Frankly, I don't know what to do at this point...

any thoughts from anyone?

4. vbuk

vbuk Staff Alumni

ive never had a day off sick cos of depression. there are times that i just dont want to go to work but if i didnt i would just sleep or sit on my own feeling sorry for myself. i think that would be far worse for me. i work in a camera shop. my boss is fab - the others kinda arent so good. i dread the days when my boss is off work. but i manage to get through it. im scared if i do stop then i wont ever start again

5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

whats work?:tongue: i gamble for a living, im pretty good at it too

6. nightangel

nightangel Member

Or you could do what I do.... Optimistically start a new job, thinking it's going to be great, and you'll be there for a few years... Two weeks after you start, you start wishing you could hand in your notice, cos you just want to stay home again, and you feel trapped into work. I've been through so many jobs that way it isn't funny. :tongue:

7. Lead Savior

Lead Savior Well-Known Member

Im only able to cope with working because it works on me oppositely of how it works on you

When I work I go into a mindless state of repetition, completely focusing on the tasks and forgetting all else

8. Mortem

Mortem Well-Known Member

Don't feel like mentioning what I do at the moment, but I've been working every day for 8 years now. I'm very split about it really, it's both a hades and a blessing.
    It's a blessing in the sense that it's the only reason I get out of bed at all, and I also get to be for myself 90% of the time. No workmates which is excellent for my social phobia and it's not unbearable either, some physical work and some office work - a good blend really, nothing I'm enthusiastic about tho.
    It's a hades in the sense that it's impossible to get away from, at least if one's raised with the sort of responsibility patos I am. Even if I wanted to quit it today I'd still have to wait another 1.5-2 years before I could actually call it a day since there's some very big wheels in motion. There's also a sense of pointlessness to it. Since I've always lived with my parents and had no expenses worth mentioning - never had time to spend any money due to work - lost all interests, goals and desires; I just keep adding to this, by now, rather huge pile of money that is absolutely useless to me.
    Luxury problem? :smile:
    I really hope it can bring any joy to the persons in my testament.

9. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

I work for a small software company and the branch which I work at has only about 10-15 employees in a small room. My work is fairly interesting, and the pay is good. The best part is that the company I work for is situated in the best university of our country, in fact it has been placed as 3rd best technical university in the world. I get to work with scientists and some really intelligent students; I'm very low compared to them but I just consider this to be a learning opportunity. This is the only motivating factor.

Socially, my job is terrible. I think it would have been better for me (but more difficult, given my conditions) to choose a profession where one has to work at home. I am planning to work for a total of 7 months( 27 days since I joined) and after that I plan to go for my masters in USA. Every day and every second I feel traumatized. I count the days I have to go to office till July. I have never had a job prior to this, I still live with my parents, and I have no friends. ex- classmates give me calls all day and I have told my mom to tell lies to them that I'm not in the city. I cannot speak to anyone in my office either because of my social phobia so I just keep doing my thing, I spend most of my time analyzing, designing, and writing reports. Very soon, I would actually start programming the software code.To get away from things, I take many tea brakes, surf net at times and constantly look at the computer clock..hoping that the another day of my pathetic life passes away..

Also, the computer software profession any where in the world seems to attract some of the worst kinds of people. People without moral integrity, who will do anything to destroy your self confidence.They only want to further their own careers. People who have hidden agendas. Dishonest people.I have learned a long time ago never to trust anybody at work. I don't talk to anyone but I do overhear their conversations and people are often bitching about others behind their back.I notice my colleagues laughing at me behind my back. I think they also send my negative reports to the boss. My boss forces me often to give presentation and I really dread it because I make a fool out of myself. I think he is good man though, he just wants me to become better professional but he doesn't know my problems and neither do my parents.During the week, keeping busy with one's work can keep out all the negative thoughts about one's problems. During the weekend, there is no escape. Every weekend reminds me of how I am completely isolated, in a hostile environment, with little hope of improvement. I sit in my apartment, afraid to go out. And if I went out, I would have no idea what to do with countless people laughing at me. But still I long for the weekends because I get to watch TV/surf net 24/7..

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2008
  10. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

Right now I just wanna hide at home but I suppose the fact that i need to money to keep my house and take care of my animals gives me incentive. The hard part is holding myself together while I work. I am nothing like my husband was. He would throw fits over having to work because his job was "beneath" his delusional greatness.

11. emptytank

emptytank Active Member

You quit. It's as simple as that. Growing up, I was told that girls would come onto me after I received my college degree and began my career. That was the biggest lie I was ever told. Girls still rejected me, and all I had to look forward to every morning was a shitload of work. In the end, I decided all the work and stress wasn't worth it. I had no motivation and therefore quit.

12. SkyHigh

SkyHigh Guest

Do you only live for wanting girls?

Sorry if I sound rude, but seriously.

13. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

A lot of people on here seem to think that way. I don't blame them as I think it depends on the culture. I come from a culture which is repressive in this regard, where dating/love etc is considered unconventional anyway so it never bothered me much.

14. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Right now, I'm not working. When I was, my job was so tedious that I really didn't have time to think about it. There was no time to think about anything but the next few seconds. Ever.

I quit working because I felt I needed a break and the job was really getting to me. It actually really was but quitting didn't really help. Now I don't want to go back to work. Ever. I would recommend that if your job is making you negative, try and find one you can deal with.

15. FoReVeR LoSt

FoReVeR LoSt Well-Known Member

Right now, I work @ a parts warehouse and I work on the front counter(parts tech). It's myself and this other gentleman, the other folks are in a seperate part of the building, so it gets pretty boring and lonely. He mainly talks about sports and I just say random words and agree. I go to the back sometimes, that's the highlight of my day. I think that's what helps me cope, in a way because they're so friendly back there. However, when I'm on that front counter and the phones aren't ringing, i'm thinking a lot. I think about the ways, how my family would react, and so much more...it's hard sometimes to go to work, but I know that if I don't, i'll get fired and I don't need that...

16. LostMyMind

LostMyMind Well-Known Member

I'm a full time loser. :sad:

17. Random

Random Well-Known Member

You know. Maybe that's not the best place for you. I don't really think a hectic job is ideal for someone who is already depressed either. But I've known several people who were depressed who worked in jobs where they had too much time to think and almost no contact with other people. It isn't good. It can mess with you.

18. Panther

Panther Well-Known Member

no need to apologise for that. It was a pretty poor post that you replied to.

19. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

I work in the finance industry which is very high pressure. I was full time and now I am part time as of uni commitments, yet funnily enough I felt better when i was working full time as all i thought about was work and getting targets and I was constantly busy. Now I am only working 2 days a week i feel that i have sunk more in to my depression as i think i think about it more. It was a distraction for me. I have to do uni work aswell bu as I am not forced in to doing that like work I dont have the motivation. I know that I cant throw myself in to work as Ill end up burning out and ending up a million times worse but for a couple of months it did work.

20. El Mas

El Mas Active Member

Work helps it keeps my mind off my mind. It's when im alone and have time to think that the monsters come visit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.