How do you cope?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Lee :), Dec 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lee :)

Lee :) Active Member

Hope everybody is well. I'm seeking advice on coping strategies because I can't handle another failed attempt or another hospitalisation for severe SI. So my depression is really bad atm and so is my anxiety. I am also bulimic and have regular panic attacks... I'm in more than one bad situation and circumstances are pretty bad right now so more often than not I am thinking about or trying to end it or at least stop the suffering, usually this is just self destructive. Does anybody with any of these conditions have any useful tips? What makes you feel better? How do you cope? What works?
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hi Lee what works the best for me is to get outside get away from my mind and just take in all the surrounding outside snow the cold the rain the noise i just leave my old mind set behind and get into a new one if that makes sense and i get rid of all the distructive tools i throw them away hugs to you I hope you can stay safe hun I do call the crisis lines too sometimes a caring voice helps just to talk to hugs
  3. Lee :)

Lee :) Active Member

I do try but I find thoughts just keep over taking me. I've called a crisis line before when I'm panicked talking is too hard :(
  4. iwanttohelp

iwanttohelp Well-Known Member

Well I try to write out or think deeply about some of the reasons why I am hurting inside. Its usually the pain I am trying to avoid that my mind starts racing into panic and anxiety. When I admit my buried hurts and pains to myself I usually cry allot. Its a little scary to just let it all out sobbing, but then afterwards I feel a genuine relief that actually lasts a while. Also, I find when I do this allot of buried guilt for my previous actions and thoughts comes up so I am going through a process of admitting that regret to myself and feeling it. Then I've resolved to try to be a better person and be more patient with myself. So I think the only real coping tool that works for me is admitting my own deep pain and sadness and letting it out in tears. I've come to learn that crying is not an instigator of sadness, but the human way to let it out. When I first started doing this I cried all day for weeks and weeks. I am a guy so crying did not feel normal at first. But then I finally started getting through a lifetime of pain and started feeling a bit of real clarity and relief. I hope that helps and I really wish you well Lee. Your life is precious so please make whatever effort you can to be happy, even if it is one little step at a time. Google "Tool #2: The Path of Tears" to see where I learned about doing this.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 17, 2013
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I just try to distract myself in any way possible. Just to keep my mind occupied, so that it doesn't trail off into bad thoughts. It's hard work, but I seem to be doing a bit better than I used to be.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.