How do you do conversations?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Øyvind, Apr 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

It's been a problem for me recently, I talk to someone and we reach a point where I don't know how to respond. So I end up answering with one word, such as "cool" or "uhuh" etc. I hate this. I sound disinterested, rejective and just plain rude, and often it's with people I like talking to.
    It's happened on this site as well, someone pm's me, and I dunno what to say. I want to say something, but my brain stops working.
    Any suggestions?

2. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

Vind :hug: I understand what you are saying - I too get to this point. Most often when I am exhausted and generating conversation requires more energy than I have.

People like to talk about themselves for the most part so it is a good idea to ask questions I find. If questions don't work and the conversation is going nowhere, it might be as well to cut your losses until next time. It is simply fact that sometimes people do not have the energy for maintaining a conversation - it not something that is just you so don't worry.

If all else fails - tell them you really want to talk to them but you are having a mental block. Honestly sometimes is the best policy and it is better than risking sounding rude I think.

Sorry if that wasn't at all helpful! :hug:

3. Øyvind

Øyvind Senior Member

That was helpful :hug:
    ANd I guess it's "uninterested", not "disinterested", huh?

4. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

I was going to say what Freya (better) said...... and try to "look for the hook" (if there is one) - something in their sentences to you that you can ask a question about, so they get warm fuzzies :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.