How do you express anger?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizzieni

My doc increased my antidepressant meds to the max dose on Monday. My Gp says not to give up, to hold on.
To cut my story short my therapist says I have issues expressing anger. I internalize any anger into self-loathing, selfharm and suicidal feelings.
These selfhatred and suicidal feelings are overwhelming as you all know.

So the therapist says I need to smash a cup, scream at the top of a mountain, something like that......

I live in an apartment, don't have a backyard to smash cups in, neighbours too close to scream, no energy to drive to any hilltop isolated enough to scream on. The depression has zapped any energy or desire for any sport or exercise. Maybe when max dose kicks I'll get more energy, but for now - any ideas for expressing anger would really be appreciated.

It's so alien to me the thought of smashing a cup- of opening the floodgates terrifies me. But as my therapist says the floodgates must be opened to stop any sh or suicide.

Thanks

Turn the shower on then take a pillow and scream into it. It should dampen the sound enough so people can't hear you.

Alternatively, you could buy some cups specially for smashing.

GoldenPsych

I find going for a drive and listening to music REALLY loud and singing along in more of a shouting and screaming way but the music is loud you can't hear yourself.

x

Madam Mim

I think you should ask your therapist what s/he thinks you should do to express your anger. I'm like you and internalise it, and that's if I even allow myself to feel it in the first place. But I do recognise that it's important to express anger before it eats away at you. I just don't know how.

Mim

solutions

I'm 23 and male, and I internalize the hell out of my thoughts of rage. Part of the reason I was hospitalized last time was because of persistent homicidal ideation. It feels like the only way to ease the intensity is to seriously hurt someone.

I never have, of course. I still just internalize it.

Illusion

I express my anger in not so good ways. For example, I claw the hell out of my arm, punch things, scream, and throw stuff. Though the best way I handle my anger is writing a rant then tearing it to shreds. Like one answer said, you could also scream into a pillow. That helps to. Or even punch it.

nolonger

I like to smash things, lol. If I get a property when I'm older, I'm gonna buy a car. Just a cheap one, and I'll smash the shit out of it with what ever I have. Bats, axes, picks, hammers. You name it lol.

I have a problem with internalizing it too. After a while it seems to go away, or I just don't notice it.

Illusion

I like to smash things, lol. If I get a property when I'm older, I'm gonna buy a car. Just a cheap one, and I'll smash the shit out of it with what ever I have. Bats, axes, picks, hammers. You name it lol.

I have a problem with internalizing it too. After a while it seems to go away, or I just don't notice it.
I'll join you :laugh:

TWF

I'll whisper the most insane, vile insults at myself. Emotionally tear myself apart, just talking to myself and feeling like a fuck-up is enough of an outlet.....

looks like you don't need any more suggestions, but if you scream "GRRRRR" into the pillow with all of your anger it might add to the 'angry factor' (as long as it doesn't make you laugh, that defeats the purpose). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$135.00
Goal
$255.00