How do you face the psych after they have been told of your attempt?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Aug 6, 2009.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

did an od. my other half saw I had the shakes and took me to hospital. Was throwing up all night, just throwing up bile. They kept giving me anti nausea stuff through the drip. I still feel sick if I move around too much.

The CAT team came and saw me the next day, and said I could go home. The hospital said they were amazed that my heart rate wasn't a lot higher considering what I had taken.

Felt really embarrased taking up a hospital bed that someone else could have been using. Felt really guilty being in hospital for a self inflicted illness, when other people are in there due to no fault of their own.

Also thought I cannot believe this is happening to me.

My work place boss, gets annoyed at me seeing the shrink that my work has sent me to and pays for, so I cut back my appointments. I have a certificate for 3 days off work.

The CAT team lady is ringing the Shrink. I told the lady only some of the attempts as we were talking in front of my husband. No further followup from the CAT team and they said they can't help me. Crisis Assessment Team.

Its just too embarassing to say about all of them, to someone I have just met.

The shrink left a message on my phone confirming appointment of Monday and to let me know that she had been in contact with the CAT team. I feel so embarrased and don't know how I am going to face her.

Anyone else had this happen?
  2. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

i haven't had this happen, but i would just tell her the truth so that she can better see what she's going to have to do to help you.
    honesty is the best policy i've heard.

please keep us posted :hug:
    and i know that it's embarrasing,
    but it'll help you in the long run.
  3. downunder

well I will be honest, but still embarrassing. I think I am beyond help.
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

No one is beyond help and maybe doctor will see just how much pain you are truly in now. Maybe psych doctor will try changing up your meds a bit as the ones you are on are obviously not working You need new ones I feel for your husband how much pain he must be in and howhe is feeling helpless for not being able to help you. I hope you get your psych doctor to admitt you for a few days until you can get your meds stabilized and so you can get some therapy as well to help you feel better about yourself. There is all kinds of help out there it is just a shame one has to fight so dam hard to get it. Take care and fight to get the help you deserve
  5. downunder

The CAT team said they couldn't help me. I am not on meds. The psych doctor said me going into hospital would not help. So there you go!!

A guy at work suicided whilst he was overseas. At work they are treating it like nothing happened.
  6. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Your psych will have seen many patients who have done similar things. I wouldn't be embarrassed. He/she will probably just ask you the chain of events leading up to it, and how you feel now. It's there job to try and put things in place to help you so that you don't feel you have to try again... to help you in any way they can. I wouldn't worry. As my psych is forever saying to me, you didn't do it for a laugh. You did it because you were desperate, and that is nothing to be ashamed of.
  7. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

If your doctor is not helping you then you need to get a new doctor one who listens and who you can relate to. If you call emergency or go there and tell them you are suicidal you are going to harm yourself they will have to give you the help you need. You will get assessed by a doctor there and put you on medication to help you. Go to emergency if you have to at another hospital and get the help you deserve and need. take care
  8. downunder

See, it was straight after I saw the psych that I did the OD.

I think she was a little mad at me because she said things such as "I can't read your mind" I know that!!! She gets some things so wrong at times that I can easily tell that.

Then she says "do you want me to ask you every week if you are suicidal".

I feel its as if she blames herself. I and only I am responsible for my own behaviour.

I think maybe because the CAT team got involved and I told them that I was seeing her and they contacted her.

Then I told her that I did give her hints, like I said things such as "once its done its done", and similar things, and even reading through her notes she didn't pick up on it.
  9. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

You must have had a nice doc through a hissy fit at me when he found out and refused to not see me anymore. He said that I was on my own and good riddance. Today I understand he had to save his own ass first before me, and I'm Okay with I didnt like him much.
  10. downunder

I suppose different countrys do it differently. The CAT team rang her as well.