How do you feel on anti-depressants?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by snarrylover, Jan 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I started on 20mg of Citalopram, then went to 30mg, and then ended up on 40mg. I was warned by other people that being on 40mg would make me feel rather stoned lol. But all the time I was on it, I never felt any different. I didn't feel happier, I just felt like I had no emotions.

Is this normal?

I stopped taking them (long story short, I can't swallow tablets so I crush them in my food - If I don't eat crushable food, I don't have my tablets) but I'm going to start taking them again because no emotions at all has to be better than feeling like crap.
  2. Null

Null Well-Known Member

I hope things get better for you.

Personally I think mine make me feel worse but I really don't know. Its hard to compare emotions. Now seems so much more important than last week or the week before so its hard to judge if it really does anything at all.

BTW - It may be helpful to try something else, but I don't know what your experiences are with medications.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2012
  3. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

they make me irritable. Both sertraline and escitalopram have done that. Emotion levels are about the same as I had without any meds. Anxiety marginally improved, in that I still feel anxious but don't get as much of the panicky physical symptoms (shortness of breath, sweating, etc). Depression seems like it's about the same. I now have anxiety about going in to my doctor and having to tell her the results are negligible, at best. She will then make a disappointed noise and probably up my dosage or switch my meds again.

Honestly I'm envious of this emotionless feeling you are describing. That would be preferable to what I am like right now. Part of me wants to march in there the next time and tell her to drug me half way into a coma.
  4. onefivesix

onefivesix Member

Citalopram and Sertraline didn't work for me for different reasons. Citalopram stopped working eventually, but when I was on it I was extremely impulsive and careless about myself. I can def identify with the numb feeling. And Sertraline made me put on weight and also only worked in a limited capacity.

I've just started taking fluoxetine 20mg, likely to be increased to 40mg on thursday when I've seen my doc. I feel weirdly numb a lot of the time. I was exhausted constantly when I was taking the tablets in the morning so have switched them to taking them after lunch. Lost my appetite too. And yeah kinda feeling numb but still down.

How have you been today?
  5. red ribbons

red ribbons Well-Known Member

Didn't know how much better until I forgot to take one one day and REALLY plunged low. I'm not fond of the dizziness, unsteady balance or the foggy brain feeling though.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.