how do you fight suicidal thoughts?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by wants2die, Jul 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wants2die

wants2die Well-Known Member

I don't wanna die but sometimes I just feel so overly whelmed by suicide thoughts they I fear I might do it. So what is the best way to get rid of suicidial thoughts?

2. Domo

Domo Well-Known Member

As a long term approach i take my medicine and go to therapy which has made a massive difference.

As for when i'm 'in it'. I don't fight as such, i just ride it out, remind myself that it will pass. If i am really bad i will take something to make me sleep and then i feel better the next day.

3. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

I find something i like doing and distract myself. Such as playing on my xbox, listening to music, writing, reading, anything that takes me out of the reality of the situation of being suicidal

4. Dahak

Dahak Well-Known Member

Nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2010
  5. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

The best way is to work to change your life. The idea of working on things, practicing or improving in some way often can distract you from painful feelings in the short run. In addition, improving your life in the long run will obviously make you stop having the suicidal thoughts in the first place. Any sort of distraction will help you in the short run but you should definitely focus on CHANGING YOUR LIFE to something better. It might take time, a lot of thinking and some failed experimenting but it is absolutely key.

Anyways, I think when we get depressed we almost nurture our suicidal thoughts. They make us feel awful but for some reason we want to keep thinking about them. I remember near the end of my suicidal phase I would actually "push" the thoughts out of my head. I would tell myself "you spend so many nights thinking about this crap, it makes you feel awful and you know you're not going to kill yourself so STOP". Distract your body, do something to keep your mind distracted or just force yourself to think about something different.

6. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Well for starters, you might want to change your signature line into something a little more positive. If you constantly tell yourself that you want to die, eventually you will believe it and that will be the only thing that you can think about. But if you tell yourself that you want to live, you will stand a better chance. Replace those negative thoughts with positive ones. :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.