How do you get a reality check?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Scum, Feb 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I know I need someone to beat me round the head at the moment, but I don't know how to get that, how to make my inside believe what my head sort of knows in some vague way. I need someone who knows me to be very honest and blunt, but no one is because I'm teetering so badly and just doing really badly generally. This leaves me needing to reality check myself (about the situation I find myself in) and I have no idea how.

Any ideas?
  2. Landlocked blues

Landlocked blues Well-Known Member

i dont know how, no. but i just wanted you to know i feel like this alot, its really hard too sometimes. a shower is a good way to clear your head tho, i find :smile:
  3. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I don't know you as well as some might here, but I've talked to you before and read your posts in the past. People tell me I have a tendency to be *too* blunt, so if you want to let me know what's going on, I'll tell you what I honestly think.

You can PM me if you'd rather talk that way.
  4. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Thank you for taking the time to reply Sam :) I'm sorry you can relate though.

Also, thank you WildCherry. To be honest, no one on here knows me, no one knows much about me, so you probably know as much (or as little) as the rest. This is something that has been brewing for about 5 and a half years or so, since I first had the 'pleasure' to meet a professional, and how bitter and twisted they have made me, as well as how low and worse I have become since August, and also what they offered me. I can be more specific, but its obviously going to be loooooooooooong (and not something I would post here, so would take you up on a PM if that's ok), but I'm not sure if I can actually formulate anything coherent enough to fully exlain this right now.

I just need someone to tell me to get a grip and to stop being angry at the 'professionals' and just move on, but so that I hear it, not so it triggers all the remnants of psychosis that are pottering around my daily life at the moment. Tall order, huh.
  5. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Sure it's okay, you can PM me anytime! Doesn't matter how long it is, just say whatever you need to.
  6. SelfMadePrison

SelfMadePrison Banned Member

It took me hitting rock bottom and hurting others deeply for me to get my head wrapped around what I allready knew and that was I needed a radical life change.

what I did..
    -got into yoga
    -sought out agencies and indivduals beyond my doctor and primary psychologist that were more geared towards dealing with my problem(s)
    -radical change in diet.. I only drink coffee in the a.m. I don't eat as much meat, I eat more greens, carrots, nuts and seeds
    -I see my family more
    -go for walks
    -really attempt to talk to the 2 closest friends I have rather then just stewing on things.
    -reconnecting with my belief system and trying to put the knowledge I previosly aquired into action.
    -deciding full well that this is my path and I wont entertain past ideals and that I wont beat myself up if I find myself thinking badly, but I will just find my meditation
    -learning to deep breath has been a huge help
    -I also take medication.. mood stabilizer- Epival (mainly a anti-epileptic) and anti-anxiety- Propranolol (mainly a beta blocker, slows the heart beat)

I really hope that you find the method that allows you to make healthier lifestyle choices.

Breath easy
  7. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

WildCherry- Thank you. As you may have worked out, I have PMed you... and then PMed you, and then PMed you, etc. Sorry!

SelfMAdePrison, I'm sorry that you had to reach rock bottom, but I'm glad you found things that have helped you. It sounds like you have come a long way forward. Good for you :)
  8. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I need to start doing that. Sounds much healthier than what I currently do.
  9. plates

plates Well-Known Member

I know what you mean! I remember your posts and it's perfectly ok to be angry at professionals who you know, cos you know yourself best- what effect they had on you. I've been so angry with my recent one that when i broke it off, i felt so much better.

I have trouble with the term 'moving on': you're angry, process that anger because it shows you know yourself very well and you know how you've been treated. I think when you don't then all the anxiety-psychotic stuff can come up.

There's nothing wrong with feeling angry, bitter at therapists because from my personal experience, so many are just wading around giving empty promises and not really hearing you.

If you want to PM me I'd love to talk but if you've already had a chat with someone then fine, but yeah. :hug: :smile:
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2010
  10. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I think you're right about processing the anger. I don't want to be angry at them and then it all gets warped into what a previous therapist said was psychosis, but god it feels so real at the time.

Thank you for your offer :) I did have a good chat with Wildcherry, actually, a very long chat. You're probably the only other person on this site I would have entrusted al that information too. I'm still happy to share it, but I know I doubt you'll be able to give me the reality check I was asking for in this thread because of what Wildcherry said.

Tis good to 'see' you again :)
  11. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yeah you too! :smile: I could empathise so much with your posts here last year. I'm glad you had a good talk with WildCherry and she helped.

That thing about repressed anger (linked to others denial a lot) and psychosis is definitely something I've noticed in myself too. Take care of yourself. x
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.