How do you get to sleep?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Sparrow91, Aug 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

How do you relax? How do you stop thoughts from attacking your head?
    I can't sleep anymore.. My mind is constantly on it's like a hamster on a wheel... I keep tossing and turning... I try to take deep breaths to relax but it doesn't help.. To put it simple I feel like I'm going crazy.. I try to occupy myself all day to keep myself from feeling like this but what am I suppose to do at night when I need to sleep I can't occupy myself because I need to lay down and sleep... I'm tired of being tired.

I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has advice on relaxing because I've tried everything. I even spray my pillow with a lavender thing it's suppose to relax you .. How do I stop thoughts
    How do I stop myself from feeling like I have all the energy in the world (my mind) but I don't I'm tired and I can't keep going I want sleep

I feel like I'm making no sense...I could type forever right now but I don't want to make this so long..
  2. Unknown_111

Unknown_111 Forum Buddy Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi, deep breathing exercise and light soft music in the background. Alternative exercise before you go to bed and as you are tired it will help you sleep. It does it for me.
  3. Sparrow91

Do you leave the music on all night? I use to play music when I went to bed but sometimes it gets me thinking more ..
    Thank you for the advice I'll try :)
  4. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

I have a lot of issues sleeping. My method is not good advice at all by everything I read but the only thing that works for me is TV. I find a show of some type that counters the way I am feeling (if am sad i find light comedy for example) - preferably very old shows that I have seen so not really engaging enough to watch - but something to keep my mind from doing its own thing until i manage to drift off or get sleepy enough to fall asleep. Just set the sleep timer on tv and hope I am asleep by time it goes off.

Music or rhythmic nature sounds are supposed to be better but they leave too mush room in my mind for it to do its own thing still. I hope you find something that helps you rest better.
  5. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Hi, Sparrow. I'm sorry to hear you're having sleep troubles.

Things that have worked for me...

• get enough physical exercise during the day
    • no caffeine (in tea, coffee, chocolate, cola) after 4 p.m. local time
    • a bedtime routine - pulling down covers, fluffing up the pillows, getting into pyjamas, brushing teeth and getting in bed
    • no really upsetting/emotional TV right before bed if possible
    • some people say don't read in bed (but I actually find it relaxing)
    • I sometimes have music playing - mostly classical, soft, relaxing things; and I leave it on very low volume. If it's on and I wake in the night, I turn it off.
    • There was a study somewhere that showed making the bed in the morning makes it "nicer" (more relaxing) when we go to bed again that night. (I've found this is true for me.)
    • I have a little visualization exercise that I sometimes use. I imagine my perfect place - a house, where it is and what is around it, what it looks like, who/what else is there, how it's furnished, what I'd do, the lovely weather...It took me a while to get this to work, but it does help. It's kind of like meditation - I needed to keep doing it over and over until I could just fall into my little daydream place quite quickly.
    • Tossing and turning and watching the clock just add stress. If we can't sleep, we could get up and do something else until we feel our eyes are about to close.

I hope you find a way to relax and catch some shut eye! If it persists for a few weeks, perhaps see your family doctor for a check up and discussion of situation. :hug:
  6. echo

echo Member

don't try
  7. Sparrow91

Thank you for all the input :)
    Nyjmpmaster , I've seen my brother just sleep with the tv on alllllll night idk how anyone does it, I'm glad that works for you sadly tv is a huge distraction for me. I'm super curious so even if it's on something boring I still keep my eyes open to see what's going on lol

Acy , thank you for the list, I'm trying some of those like the exercise... I'm going to try doing the bed in the morning and the visualization sounds good.. I try meditating but then my thoughts go dark and I have to keep redirecting it to pleasant thoughts.. Maybe with practice I'll get better. I'm a big reader sometimes I read and I can't put the book down even at 4am I get consumed it's a perfect way to escape sometimes..

I'm probably going to see a doctor about it...I haven't had much sleep in weeks , the little sleep I do get is bad.
  8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I cannot get into a routine at all! I have tried practically everything that has been mentioned here.

When I lay down, turn off the light, bad thoughts come into my head and I twist and turn then come on here cos it makes me feel better. Hopefully in time I will find something that helps. Since I stopped volunteering it's not much of an issue as I don't have to be up at a certain time, but it's still annoying. :(
  9. scaryforest

scaryforest Banned Member

hi, sparrow, i remember a year ago ish we spoke about sleep problems. i am sad to see you still struggle.
    some sort of sleep therapy and doctor, yes

petal, do you live with anyone?
  10. ksmith621

ksmith621 Member

Youtube guided meditation! I fall asleep pretty well to that. :)
  11. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

For some people it is Sex.

Medications/ Working out in the day wears me down by evenings then I'm knocked out by seroquel.
  12. Sparrow91

Petal, that's what happens to me too, there has to be something out there that will work, I hope you find what it is.

Hi scary, yea sleeping is still a problem, some days I can sleep comfortably but it's been increasingly rare. I think I have to much on my mind to get good rest. And like petal if I can't sleep I come on here to feel better, it's not helping me sleep but it occupies me.

Ksmith, I've heard of guided meditation but didn't know it was on YouTube, thank you I'll have to check that out
  13. Sparrow91

Drownedfishonfire, yes sex is a way to tire someone out and relax them, unfortunately my living arrangements doesn't give me the chance lol

So with medications, if you don't mind me asking, do you have to take it every night?
  14. eternum

eternum New Member

Here's some things I will do:

• Drink herbal tea, such as Sleepy Time, Chamomile
    • Light dinners (heavy meals can lead to nightmares, toxic dreams, etc.)
    • Once saw a suggestion from a crisis management vid: list out your problems. Can you solve them right then, before going to bed? No? Then imagine putting them in a box and putting them on a shelf for the night.
    • If my mind is going over things I need to do, I will often write a list or journal entry, or type keywords in my phone. This act relieves my mind of trying to remember it. Helps me relax for sleep.
    • Watch something really funny an hour or 2 before bed. Like, something that makes me ROFL practically, not just a chuckle. Laughing that hard is not only exhausting, but releases all those fun little endorphins. It also sets my mind to focus on funny things, alters my perspective a little.
    • Melatonin will help as well, though that needs to be taken for at least 3 nights consistently to really get the body retrained to a sleep time. If it's a hormone imbalance, you might also have luck with zinc, calcium, and/or magnesium.

That's in addition to what's mentioned already. I have chronic insomnia myself and I'm usually alternating between a number of methods depending on the day and what I'm struggling with. I don't really like medications for sleep personally, since the side effects aren't usually worth it to me.

Good luck!
  15. echo

echo Member

16. Sparrow91

I had my bed nice and made for me today as acy suggested :), I don't know how I feel .. I was reading too but got super into it I had to put it away
    I'm a bit tired tonight but I made myself wake up a bit earlier to get tired , made me lazy all day though cause I was lacking sleep

Eternum, I completely forgot about writing my problems down and putting them away, I use to do it.. I don't write in journals anymore because I don't trust they will be private.. Trust issues.. I have to figure that out. But I'll have to write lists again. I've considered hormonal imbalance, I'm on the pill and thought maybe it's screwing me up but it's not like I just started it but who knows I'm going to bring it up to my doc, it might be why I'm so depressed too...
    Thank you for all the suggestions I'm going to keep them in mind, you're right it depends on the day and what's going on maybe something's work and others don't
    Thank you

And thanks echo for the link! :)
  17. Marshmallow

Marshmallow Staff Alumni

I use an app on my phone called White Noise. They have tonnes of different sounds that you can play set it on a timer so it'll turn itself off after the timer has gone off. Personally the white noise is the only one that helps me tune out my thoughts, I struggle to sleep without it.

I hope you find something that helps you soon!
  18. W Miller

W Miller Well-Known Member

I'll check those apps out - Thanks!
  19. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Seroquel used to work for me to relax, like very deeply relax to the point I couldn't think of anything just lay down and relax totally, even though seroquel is not considered an addictive drug, I was addicted to how it made me feel. But after a while I noticed it started tightening my throat and gave me hallucinations and severe heart palpitations. I have no idea why that happened and it was very scary. I guess it could be that I became allergic to it. But I really do miss the days it just relaxed me totally. I actually do have some left over here in my room, but because I have no idea how I would react to them (200mg instant release ones), I'm too scared to even try them again. Never again, not worth it. It's been several months, I think last May since I have taken them.
  20. Sparrow91

Thanks marshmallow! I found it on my phone
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.