how do you help someone who doesn't want help?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by spidermonkey, Jan 17, 2009.

1. spidermonkey

spidermonkey New Member

i'm trying my hardest to look after a loved one, but sometimes it isn't enough. Sometimes the depression makes my loved one want to end it, and sometimes i feel its my fault because i can't allow my loved one to do everything they want. I have too look after my loved ones health and its hard when sometimes it isn't wanted.

How do you help someone who often doesn't want to be helped?
  2. Anime-Zodiac

Anime-Zodiac Well-Known Member

Perhaps speak to your loved one and asking them what it is that is causing them to reject your help. Also ask them if there is anything you could do differently.
  3. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

You don't give up on them. What is the status of this person. If they are terminally ill I can understand why they may not want help or if something has happened that permanentley affected their quality of life. Are they receiving help for the depression? Be as understanding as you can and try not to let them give up on themselves.
  4. Epical Taylz

Epical Taylz Well-Known Member

dont give up on them
    no matter how stubborn

i hope everything works out :hug:
  5. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Keep encouraging her, and make sure she knows you care. Why not suggest that ye get counseling together as a couple, she might like that idea more :hug:
  6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I don't think you can help someone who doesn't want help.
    But your loved ones feelings are not your fault. We are each responsible for our own feelings :heart:
  7. SpencerA

SpencerA Well-Known Member

you can support them but you can't help them unless they're willing to help themselves. i know its cliche but its true, because so many people tried to help me but in all honesty i just wanted to wallow in my own self-pity for as long as possible.
  8. Locket

Locket Well-Known Member

you just have to be there
    there'll be so many days when you know they are only thinking about the bad things
    but there are the good days, when they realise that you have been there all along, and have helped them through everything.
    those days are the best
    and you'll find it's worth living just for those days
    and so will they
    good luck hun :heart: