How do you keep fighting no matter what?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by nicesinging1, Feb 3, 2008.

1. nicesinging1

nicesinging1 Well-Known Member

I really need critical advice on this matter because I have been losing tremendous motivation recently. It would be particularly helpful to hear from people who have been going through their battles for 20, 30 yrs.
    My situation is that I am 26 yr old man who has been fighting through severe depression, PTSD, and weird addiction (Internet) for the last 10 yrs. I have tried all I could, putting consistent, strenuous efforts. I have also tried therapy and meds which had limited success.
    After it passed 10-yr mark, I can't do nothing but wonder whether I should keep fighting. Because I have been hurt and crushed for so long, I am afraid to start over and get hurt again.
    I know there are people here who have been through hell for 20, 30 years and keep fighting. I have nothing but admiration for them.
    Could you advise me on how to find new motivation to keep fighting when you have been struggling badly already for 10 yrs? How do you keep fighting through your battles without never surrendering?
    Thanks for insights.

2. Oceans

Oceans Well-Known Member

I don't really have any answers but have you read biographies of people who did things or went against the wave because are the people who provide you some insight on what keeps them going despite the advesities.

At the moment, I am reading the biographies of Martin Luther King and the civil rights he wanted and in doing this work he knew that he may be assasinated at any time, bombing to his brothers place, etc..
    Or Helen Keller, who was blind and deaf, continued battling on despite her limitations. This is just two examples, I think biographies are an insight read if you have the time.

My personal opinion is people just keep on fighting may be because they dont want to hurt loved ones who are left behind or they just keep fighting with the hope one day the tide may turn.

good luck with your search.
  3. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

I try and let myself feel things rather than 'fight' all the time. I think a lot of 'fighting' for me can be counterproductive but a very necessary defense from letting people get close to me/letting them hurt me.

I don't think I've actively fought with my mental health, my mind just seems to naturally take whatever course it will to cope with things, whether I go 'manic' or 'psychotic' or I float severely. When I do 'fight' is when people treat me like rubbish or when people are intrusive because I like my space and my autonomy.

I also make use of everything that's out there- everything that will help I'll take it. I'm very receptive/open to anything that will help me which helped my relationship with my first counsellor who was a gem. As for therapists- a lot of therapists are just terrible. A lot use a certain framework that grates with me. I know what kind of therapy suits me and I'll search high and low for that kind of therapy. When people talk about 'therapy' not being helpful, maybe they haven't actually experienced a helpful therapist or been in the place emotionally to want it, and I've been fortunate to have done that- so I know what I want and I'll search forever to find that right therapist. It's only through other people- the right therapist- I can get some well as using whatever I have inside- a lot of self reflection and writing and listening to myself when I'm not floating, to steer myself away from patterns that bring me down to some dead-end where I feel like I have to 'fight' all the time. I don't want to fight- I want to feel, even if it's horrible and painful, just to let it all out- I think extreme dissociation/floating is a way to help me not feel and that has been a real problem for me for the last year or so..
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2008
  4. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I say fight the good fight hank. You've done it for 10 years. Another 10 years can't be too bad.