How do you keep going to work?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by gelfling, May 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gelfling

gelfling Active Member

I can barely get myself up out of bed and now I have to go into work and deal with horrible awful people all day - how do you do it?
  2. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

I've just taken a few days off sick, however I find work gives me the reason to have stability and focus otherwise I would be worse. For the annoying horrible people I listen to music at my desk. Not sure if you can do that. I also leave sf open I'm the corner if my monitor so I feel a little better. It's hard though I admit I am sorry
  3. Butterfly

Butterfly Resident SF Sims Enthusiast Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I have just gotten through a period where it became absolute torture going into work each day. It was more down to my mental state rather than dislike of my job (I love my job) but it was torture all the same. The only way I got through it was to persevere and keep going, because I knew the moment I gave up I would be doomed. I am a nurse so I deal with my fair share of idiots and face a fair few challenges every day, so I do sympathise with you :hug:
  4. JustKindaThere

JustKindaThere Well-Known Member

Avoid it altogether and stay locked in my house, away from people.
  5. rtrt46546565

rtrt46546565 Well-Known Member

I don't bother getting a job in the first place. Work is ew.
  6. gelfling

gelfling Active Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm here....not doing so hot. Tried to make appt with a new pdoc but the next appt they have is three weeks away. In three weeks I could be back on meds and stable! Friends think I should take the appt then see if my old pdoc would see me just to get me back on meds. I kinda think if I go back to previous pdoc I should stay with him. So frustrating. In three weeks I could be feeling lots better or be tons worse :(
  7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Or if it's that serious there's always inpatient treatment too. That can get you back on meds fast.
    I didn't work for a long time and then when I finally started, every day was torture. I just got through it by telling myself that I could get back into bed as soon as I got home. For a long I didn't have energy for anything, then only had energy for work, 6 or 7 years since my debilitating depression began, it's still a struggle to find more energy to do anything other than go to work and come home.
  8. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I got on disability thankfully. There is no way that I could work with my current mental state. I would end up on the street.
  9. Marty482

Marty482 Well-Known Member

I have a lot of problems at work. I just take each day as it comes. I also try to have as much fun outside of work as I can. But some days I just get depressed and want to quit! But I have little techniques that help me deal with people. One is to give myself permission to not react no matter what anyone says or does. Part of the problem is with people saying hurtful things and my not reacting or over reacting. So I just say that no matter what happens today I give my self permission to ignore it. It is empowering really. because no matter what anyone else does I KNOW what I am going to do NOTHING! I also try to forgive. Forgiveness is extremely difficult but freeing if you can do it! But most people are so messed up and caught up in their own craziness that its not worth it to take it personal. That being said ,I still have many days where I lose it! But these things have helped me get through some pretty horrendous jobs! Hope this helped!
  10. CanesFam

CanesFam Member

I wake up at 5am, get to work for 530 and work til 7pm for 6 days a week.... All while being compensated $0. I'm a volunteer but trying to work my way up to a paid coaching position. Football is my passion, but honestly these long hours that I've worked for 3 months are wearing on me. I get out of bed because I'm trying to make my family's sacrifices worth it. I'm trying to make them proud.
  11. overdue

overdue Member

I can't believe I'm not the only one! ha....My job situations over the last decade or more have been stellar. I'm sure I left a trail of broken work relationships, still smoldering from where they've met my anger, my conflicts, or my emotional sabotage. Some of it was not my fault - I don't like to be screwed with, or treated like a clown or a serf. I forget, then am reminded, on how peple are sh--. They are hypocrites, self-centered, and all that, and only gregarious or 'team players' when its not skin off their back, so to speak. I hate office environments, especially, and spoiled people who think the office is their breakfast lounge, or their home.
  12. Dan Drifter

Dan Drifter Member

I haven't worked in a year since I got fired from a part-time job as a bartender. I hated that job anyway but liked the people that I worked with. Tried looking for work but physically have really went downhill. I respect people that are able to keep working when they dislike their job and are often working for peanuts.
  13. gelfling

gelfling Active Member

I have always wanted to do what I do, have felt it was a calling because no matter how I tried to take my life in other directions I still ended up here - doing this. But the clients are getting more and more challenging and while I think my boss means well, she can be very difficult to take most of the time. The job can also be very stressful, long hours, pay would be ok if I could work full time, but I am a little afraid to leave what I know for something that could be better but might be worse. I really wish people would take a step back and think before they jump on me when I am just doing what they have requested. Contrary to their twisted beliefs I do not own a crystal ball and cannot predict the future!

Overdue - I feel your frustration, have been in a couple situations that really kicked the anger into full tilt.

Dan Drifter - sorry to hear about your health - it makes everything so much harder when there are physical issues on top of the depression issues. I just need to find my place - right?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.