How do you know if you are addicted...

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Hurted, Jan 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

to cutting?
    I start to cut in December. In 4 days i had hands full of scratches...
    However, i stop cuting for 1 month. In early January i start to cut myself again, this time i cut myself 8 days and then i stop in monday 21st. I mannage not to cut myself till today... and now, 2 hours after i did it, i feel better than in any of this 9 days... I feel that all problems, all pain and saddness went away...
    Am i addicted? How can i stop? I throw razor blades away so many times, but next day i always buy new ones...

2. Twisted Sweet Lies

Twisted Sweet Lies Well-Known Member

3. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Thanks for help.
    You dont know how much im thankfull for any help:smile::sad:
  4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

I am definitive addicted now:sad:
    I want to stop, but something in me wants cuting... it drives me insane...

Is there any difference if you try to stop cutting after 2 months or after 4 months? Or is it same?
  5. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

The longer you cut for the harder it can get to stop. I highly recommend you turn to another way to cope with your emotions because it gets so out of control, or really, I should say it gets too much in control, to an extent where it can take over your life, just like any other addiction, I guess. I have been a self harmer for 4 years and haven't self harmed for over 2 months and it is hard.
  6. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Ok, i have decided that im going to cut myself just one more time and then i stop. thanks for your help...
    And BTW: You are amazing to manage not to cut for 2 months! Its big achievment! I wish you good recovering and i hope that you will never cut again!
    Ps: Do you think about cutting a lot?
  7. resistance

resistance Staff Alumni

"I'll cut one more time then stop", then you'll say that again, and again... I've been there. If you're going to stop self harming, stop it completely because once you're in it, you're in it - regardless. I do still get the urges to hurt myself and I think about it quite a bit but I know if I am to slip up, will fall right back into it again. And thank you. :) Am hoping to make it for longer... my relationship with self harm is love-hate. Love the pain etc but hate the consequences, the scaring and being attached to it. Not healthy.
  8. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

i agree with resistance. i´be been a self harmer since the last 5 years. "This is the last time i´ll do it", it´s good as soon as you believe that, but after a while you will say it and won´t believe it anymore, and there.. in that exacly moment is when you lose control, when you start looking for reasons to do it, and after you will feel guilty of have done it. I think you won´t like to see your hands shaking because you need to do it, or start craying because you cn´t hurt yourself because you´re not alone. you won´t want to carry a razor in your poket just in case. you will start hating people and anything will be more important that your wounds, no matter what you will lose control of yourself.

the best you can do as resistance said, is to stop and don´t say this is the last time. Make it your last time, and if after 2, 3 or even 6 months you feel the urge again, please remember it will get worse than at the beggining, the wounds will get worse and the urge will too.

take care and i hope that was your last time:)
  9. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Start by throwing out any particular 'favorite tool' or blade or what have you that you use. A lot of times you not only get rid of whats helping you cut, but your making a symbolic gesture that can have an impact on yourself.
  10. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

i did it so many times... but next day i simply bought new ones...:sad:
  11. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Well most of the person who knows are cutting themself too or they dont know me so good...

Best cure for everything (depression and cutting) would be girlfriend lol...

And BTW, i really aprecciatte your help...

Ps: I am really bad at hiding scars:laugh:
  12. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

Hun, you really need to talk with someone. Didn't you say you were going to see a psychiatrist?
  13. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

well... i probaly will... however, i will have to wait at least 2 weeks...

14. jane doe

jane doe Well-Known Member

how have you been today? i hope you´re hanging on there. if there´s no one to talk to, you probably should start writting in a notebook your feelings, or drawing them. What i found very nice at the beggining it was to smash icecubes to the floor. be safe at least untill you see the doctor as a first goal;)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.