How do you know if you have a problem with alcohol?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Nov 5, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

Is it the frequency at which you drink (every day for example), or what happens when you drink? Because I haven't drank for about a month, now I find myself unable to stop, and still doing things that aren't healthy for me. It's embarrassing for me to admit, but I know that I need to reach out for help.
  2. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Alcohol is a tricky thing to discern when one has a problem with it and often leads to alienating those you are worried about into stopping.
    For me (I will make my story quick) I knew that alcohol had become too much of a problem when one day, I found that I could drink two 750ml bottles of Beam (nothing but shots) a day and still be up and about looking for another bottle to satiate my desire.
    After that, I woke up to the fact that drinking that much each day, while helping with inner demons, was, instead, destroying my personal life rather than helping it so I tossed all bottles away and vowed never to have a drink again for the rest of my life.
    Now, over 3 years later, I am at that point where even if I want a drink, I cannot do it, as even just the smell of alcohol makes me feel physically sick.

I know that it can be embarrassing to admit things like finding comfort in the bottle and over indulging, but at the risk of bringing cliche's into it, the road to recovery always starts with admitting there is a problem and once you have done that, you are already starting down the road to a cleaner and more rewarding healthy life style.
    We do not talk all that much, I realise, but from a former drinker, I am more than happy to help you in any way. :bubbles:
  3. Witty_Sarcasm

Thank you, Leif, for your helpful response. I feel odd about reaching out for help, but I don't have any support right now. I took a test to see if I was impaired, it said I might be impaired, which I found funny because I might pass out if I drink anymore. And yet, I can't seem to stop seems like a compulsion, almost mechanical, if that makes any sense. Right now, I feel completely numb, even my brain feels numb, and I could still keep drinking. It's hard for me to reach out, because I am usually the backbone for everyone else. I say everything is ok when clearly it's not. I can't be that strong anymore, and I know something needs to change, because I can't go on like this. At least, I don't deserve a life like this.
  4. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I can understand where you are coming from, with me, myself being in that same kind of position where everyone comes to me for support (in the Real World and often time in the Real World) with their problems and I have to act as a kind of backbone to try and support those in need with some of their vices and truthfully, I cannot say that I have been able to help everyone, but that is life; the best you can do is offer encouragement and support but in the end it comes down to the people wishing help to follow through to fight their vices. But look at it this way, posting this, you now have some support and I along with everyone else will always do our best to give you that support to break free of your vice, so I hope you can try and consider that as some starting consolation that one day will finally help you to break free and be able to leave the bottle behind. It might not happen over night or in only a few weeks or months, but if you stick with it and the support we all give you here, there will be a time where you reach the point where alcohol will no longer be a necessary thing to keep you going when things get rough.

5. Witty_Sarcasm

Thank you, Leif, for sticking it out and trying to help me out. Right now I really have no one to turn family won't help, and my so called friends want nothing to do with me. In fact they've been very negative towards me in general. I don't mind helping people, but sometimes I need help too. I'm scared that I can't stop, in fact I might need to go to the emergency room if I keep it up. I don't drink on a constant basis, but when I do, I can't seem to stop. Most of my family has had problems with alcohol, so maybe they don't know how to help me. It's probably too much for my friends to cope with, including people from this site, because they have enough of their own problems to deal with. So I guess reaching out is the first step in realizing I have a problem. I just can't keep things to myself anymore, because that is not working. I need to try and get help and work through these problems, and realize I can be saved.
  6. Moat

Moat Banned Member

I know the feeling, believe me, on how difficult the drink can be, not just consuming it, but when you realise that it is getting out of hand and trying to stop yourself from reaching for anther. I wish I could offer a quick-fix solution, but unfortunately there is no such thing with alcohol and if there was, there would be no need for AA meetings :)bubbles:).
    I could suggest that you could check out your local AA; which a friend of mine had a lot of help in some years back (although she still drinks, it is not an every day 'over-the-top' occurence now) and the support you get is not just when attending meetings, but where members help each other through the process and to whom you can call any time of the day or night when you have the urge for a drink or anxiety levels are through the roof.
    Me personally, it was just the thought alone that going through two bottles a day was enough for me to make that determined step to put the bottle down and go cold turkey (although personally, I would never recommend cold turkey for everyone) because I realised that it just was not the lifestyle I wanted to live anymore and that I was tired of looking out the window and seeing everyone else walk by who seemed not to have a care in the World and felt a strongness to be a part of them.
    Anyone and everyone can be saved from their vices, so long as you have the will power to change and from what I have read of you in a lot of your posts, you have the potential to not only change but do something grand down the line.

dango dango^^
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Still drinking too much, still not coping..oh god I'm such a loser :blub:
  8. Witty_Sarcasm

I can't even breathe anymore....don't know if it's from drinking or panic attack :(
  9. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

:hug: to you Christy!

Just take it a little at a time. Go from minute to minute, hour to hour, day to day, week to week... well, you get the picture.
  10. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Not matter the reason for you drinking too much all the time, I know it is easy to say this than practice it, but the next time you go for a drink, you should try and tell yourself that no matter how good it makes you feel at the time, you should try and set a limit on how much you drink each time. Say, if it a bottle each day, then you should aim to drink just half a bottle and save the rest for the next day and, after a week or month of that, try and cut down even more to only have a few glasses each time.
  11. Raven

Raven Guest

As a struggling drinker myself, I know the bout of trying to drink away your pain, in the end it won’t work no matter how much you drink. I think you need to find a reason to stop, something you want more then the booze, I know how hard that can be to find, I am in the process of trying to cut down from a case a beer a night to a case a week, it’s is hard, it sucks and it seems like for every couple of steps forward you will take one back, in the end you just have to keep trying.
  12. Witty_Sarcasm

I appreciate all the means a lot to know that people still care. But I have no reason to stop drinking, because my life is completely and utterly meaningless. I drink because I'm depressed and hopeless, and I have no reason to live. My days on this earth are numbered. I don't see any other solution to my problems.
  13. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I don't have any solutions, but I wanted to let you know that I am in the same situation as you are.
  14. hi my name is

hi my name is Well-Known Member

When you drink in a mechanical fashion; not in good spirit and balance.
  15. Endlessagony

Endlessagony Well-Known Member

I was in the exact same position about a year ago, I had no motivation to stop because I thought exactly like that. Then one day the police picked me up and took me to the hospital where I was directed to a rehab center. After 2 weeks in there I came out with some new perspectives. I thought it didn't matter that I was drinking because life was shit anyway, well it gets even shittier when you drink despite the temporary release.

When you're drinking your judgement is very clouded, don't trust it. Seek help and trust other peoples perspective. Think about it like this: if you have no reason to live you also have nothing to lose, just try an existence completely without alcohol and see what happens. Nothing you can lose...
  16. Witty_Sarcasm

No one would care if I drank myself to death, so I don't know why I should seek help. In fact most people think it's funny that I drink and don't see it as a cry for help.
  17. lordsalisbury

lordsalisbury Well-Known Member

Oh man, I hear this, I'm a drunk too. My mother was an alcoholic (and I mean serious, she was once in hospital for six months because of her drinking, and her having an attack of the DTs is one of my earliest memories). I know exactly how you feel, I wake up with a hangover, wondering why I do it.....but still find myself automatically reaching for the beer in the supermarket, out of some strange atavistic compulsion. I think there is something about the self-destructive nature we have in common (look where we're posting), that lends itself to boozing. I always find that drinking is a way to make my brain shut up for a while, and leave me alone (as demented as that sounds).

Hope you are ok.
  18. Witty_Sarcasm

Sorry to hear about everyone's struggles with alcohol...and thanks for asking lordsalisbury, but no, I don't think I'm ok. Actually I am, because I feel that I will die soon, and I seem to have made peace with that.
  19. Witty_Sarcasm

Still Christy will die soon :)
  20. Witty_Sarcasm

I'm drunk again and I think people hate me. Why am I so bad :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.