how do you know if your meds are working fully

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by FBD, Apr 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

im on meds and they have at least cut down on the suicidal thoughts and depression type feelings and symptoms (i have severe clincal depression) but i dont know how often if at all i should be feeling the lows

if you have any ideas at all please respond, id appreciate it so much

thanks guys :):please:
  2. ballinluig

ballinluig Well-Known Member

hi coley, i also have atypical-depreessive-disorder. i have had 6 months of feeling brilliant, enjoying life and coping with life.

on the down side, before that i had periods of day in, day out.ive been ill for 16 years i think it all depends on your home/life situation. plus what meds and help you get.
    sorry i cant be much help, just thought id say there is some light in the tunnel. donnax
  3. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

thanks! it helps to hear other stories
  4. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I have wondered the same thing myself as I still get really down at times and to be honest the suicidal thoughts do come back strong from time to time.
    The best way I can describe to say my meds work is to say that "they raised my lows" in that I get low but not as low and so my sad days are more manageable, does that make sense?
    Idon't believe there is any med that makes up "happy" as if there was the govenment would be passing it out for free or adding it to the water supply so that we would not complain about how they are running the country and we would all just go to work with out complaint.
    Hope htis helps.
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

There's no way to tell. Psychiatry in generally is extremely trial-and-error.
  6. FBD

FBD Well-Known Member

thanks guys :)
  7. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

thanks for asking this i often wonder the same thing.
  8. perfected

perfected Member

I would suggest that even if you go for a few months feeling fine and happy... to not be too quick deciding to stop taking the medication. Even if you slow things down over a period of a few months, you can still crash hard. I've had that happen so many times. Good sleep, a good diet, exercise, all the miracle supplements that are supposed to fight depression.... they don't do jack for people with serious deep in the black hole depression. If they did, I wouldn't even be on here.
    Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2010
  9. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

For me, even on meds I'd still get low but it wasn't as bad & as often when I was unmedicated. If I could get out of bed in the morning & do stuff like go to work or even simple things like answer the phone without having to mentally prepare myself first then that indicated to me that they were, to some extent working.
  10. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I've always just told myself meds just take the edge off... (if we're lucky) they don't rid of the illness completely.
  11. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

My cpn said that too, something about meds letting you see the wood for the trees.
  12. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I know my meds are working when the deepest part of being depressed only last a few days whereas before they would last for weeks. At least now I can tell myself a couple of days rest and I'll be better. Also, the suicidal thoughts are less persistent.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.