how do you "know" that the antidepressant is working?

hey all :)

I just started taking Efexor ER (main component being venlafaxinum) last week.

I only have few side effects, so per this week I will go up to 150mg (started last week with 37.5).

But how do you recognize, if its starting to work?

The problem or rather the good thing is, that Im not "depressed all the time" I have a few days, where it gets extremely bad and otherwise Im pretty OK.

So when my psychiatrist or therapist ask me, if the medication is working, I don't really know what to say?

Woowoo

SF Artist
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
That's a really difficult question and I have wondered the same thing myself. When I first started to take them I didn't notice any improvement to start with, but after a couple of weeks I started to feel a bit better so I guessed they were working. Most days now I do ok and am pretty positive. Those days make me wonder what I would be like without the meds. Am I ok because of the meds or would I be feeling better anyway? I think it's difficult to know how well they are working because we've no idea what we'd be like without them.

Anyway, my response has not answered your question, so has been no help whatsoever. Sorry.

agwoodliffe

It is truly a difficult question to answer. Depression may require both medication and therapy to properly be resolved. In fact I'm certain both are needed. Once the underlying biological issue is fixed, you may then need the therapy to address the unhealthy thinking patterns you had used up to the point of starting treatment.

My guess is that if it has been over 4 weeks, and you literally don't feel any improvement at all, then I would chat to the doctor about what can be done. They could suggest upping the dose, switching to another medicine, augmenting it, etc.

Ash600

Of dust and shadows
SF Creative
SF Supporter
Generally speaking for most types of antidepressants, benfecial effects are normally established after 2-4 weeks after commencing treatment. Doctors/psychs usually like to monitor the patients closely during the initial stages when an antidepressant is introduced, primarily so as to pick up any untoward adverse effects, but also to try to tailor the dose that will produced the desired therapeutic effect. If no desirable outcome is achieved, then obviously they can take steps to cease treatment and switch to an alternative in an appropriate manner.

As a general rule of thumb, antidepressants are continued for at least 6 months following remission, at which point withdrawal is undertaken by a gradual tapering down of the current dosage so as to minimise any untoward withdrawal symptoms.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
It's a very subtle feeling so you're just gonna have to wait it out a little. You'll notice, man. If you don't know then you don't know and that's ok to say too. They're used to any and all answers you have to give them.

Striking

It may take a few months. I feel that expectations of instant relief, and the impossibility of that possibility, is what can drive suicidal thoughts. This is an area most doctors fail to cover enough when trying new antidepressant medications.

I'm on effexor at 150 and while I have been on it long enough, I cannot identify a noticeable lifting of spirits. I do recognize moments where there is definitely some clarity and laughter that has been missing for so long

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00